It has been more than a month since Samsung started rolling out Android 4.3 update to the Galaxy S3 devices in the U.S and other countries and today the update has started rolling out to Indian Galaxy S3 users. The OTA update has the build number I9300XWUGML4 and weighs 408 MB.
The Android 4.3 update brings Samsung Galaxy GEAR compatibility to the device which is of no use unless you have the Galaxy GEAR, improved performance, KNOX support, new camera modes and more. Here’s the full changelog:
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
To receive this update, you can go to Settings>About phone and check for software updates which should show you the aforementioned build number, or you can use KIES to check for the update. Another alternative is to download and flash the firmware manually. You can download the firmware from Sammobile and use this tutorial to flash it to your device.
Please note that updating the phone will revoke root access in case the device is already rooted. You will have to root the device again to remove bloat or modify the system in any way possible!