Just like Sony Xperia Ray, Sony Xperia Play can also be flashed with a Jelly Bean custom ROM which is the AOKP ROM (Android Open Kang Project). The features of this ROM are similar to those for Xperia Ray. Also , this is a custom ROM and not the official one and hence you may face bugs in this ROM. At the time of writing, it is Beta stage and the download available is Build 2. You can always download the latest build from the link in the installation instructions below.
This process requires using a fastboot command to flash the kernel for which you need Android SDK installed on your computer. For more on this, refer our complete guide about ADB.
Please note that your phone’s camera will not work if you flash Build 2 of this ROM.
Make sure you backup all data on your phone before you install this ROM.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network, else you might brick your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM On Sony Xperia Play
- Download the latest build of this ROM from the original thread.
- Extract the kernel (boot.img file) from the downloaded zip file to a separate folder and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode and connect it to the PC using USB Cable.
- Flash the boot.img file to your phone using the fastboot command: fastboot boot boot.img (read more about adb commands).
- After flashing the kernel, boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup from recovery mode or if you do not wish to boot into recovery to make a nandroid makeup, use online nandroid backup tool.
- Wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode and then go to “Mounts/storage” and wipe system.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Your Sony Xperia Play must now be running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean AOKP ROM. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below 🙂