Most of the devices which have a good configuration to support Android 4.1 Jelly Bean are getting custom ROMs that run on Jelly Bean, thanks to the developers who are working on it. Two such devices to be included in the list are Sony Xperia Arc and Sony Xperia Arc S. In this tutorial we will tell you how to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia Arc & Arc S. These ROMs have been built on CyanogenMod 10 sources.
Please note that this is not an official ROM and after you install this, you lose the warranty of your device.
Also, this ROM does not have everything working. It is still in development stage and hence you may face many bugs. These bugs would disappear as and when the ROM is updated. You can always download the latest version of the ROM from the link given in the installation instructions.
Since this is a custom ROM, you will need to wipe data on your phone, else it might result in low memory and force close issues. It is always a good idea to backup all data before installing a custom ROM.
You must have rooted your device, unlocked the bootloader and installled custom or ClockworkMod Recovery on it to flash custom ROMs.
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on Sony Xperia Arc & Arc S.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Procedure to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia Arc & Arc S
- Download the latest version of this ROM from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB Cable and copy the ROM zip file to your SD card, preferably in the root folder.
- Make sure you extract the boot.img file from the zip file and paste it in platform-tools folder where ADB is installed.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer and turn it off.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode by connecting it to computer via USB cable while you turn it on and then typing the command fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Turn off your phone again and boot into CWM recovery by pressing the volume down button during boot up when the LED flashes blue.
- Make a nandroid backup in the recovery mode.
- Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Install the zip file in next screen.
- Go back and select “reboot system now”.
Once your phone reboots, you will see that your phone is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below
Latest posts by Lalit Indoria (see all)
- [APK DOWNLOAD] Google Play Store 4.5.10 With IAP Indicator, Activity Sharing & More - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Android 4.4.1 OTA Update Rolling Out to Nexus Devices - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Official CyanogenMod 11 M1 Rolling Out To Nexus Devices Today - December 6, 2013