The L-series from LG don’t seem to get too much attention from the developers as there have been no ROMs for these devices yet except the CM9 ROM for LG Optimus L3 that still has some issues with the display drivers. While a few developers are generous enough to pay attention to these devices, Chacha_Ivanov from 4pda.ru has developed CWM Touch recovery for LG Optimus L5. Though you don’t have any ROMs for this device, you can still use CWM to make nandroid backups, to wipe cache, dalvik cache and perhaps do a factory rest when your phone isn’t booting up.
- You must know how to unbrick your phone.
- All device drivers installed.
- ADB files must be downloaded on your PC in a folder. This is the folder with files which you will use to run ADB commands.
- Rooted Optimus L5
Step to Unlock Bootloader and Install CWM on LG Optimus L5
- Download Unlocked_bootloader_17-02-2013.rar and CWM6_24-03-2013.rar
- Extract the content of Unlocked bootloader rar file to get the file emmc_appsboot.bin. Place this file in your SD card. Do not place it in any folder, just place it into the SD card.
- Extract the CWM6 rar file to get recovery.img file. Place it in your SD card the same way as you did in the previous step.
- Turn on USB Debugging on your phone and connect it to the PC via USB cable.
- I assume you have downloaded the ADB files to your PC as given in the requirements section above.
- Open the folder that contains the ADB files. On windows, Left Shift + Right click and select “Open Command Prompt here”. This is to ensure that you open Command prompt window in the location where you have the ADB files.
- Issue the following commands in Command Prompt (hit Enter after each line)
- Superuser will popup on your phone. Just tap on “Grant access” button.
- If you wish to, you can make a backup of the stock bootloader and recovery using the following two commands:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/emmc_appsboot.bin.bak
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/recovery.img.bak
- Now to unlock the bootloader, enter the following command:
dd if=/sdcard/emmc_appsboot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
- To flash recovery, issue the following command:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
- To boot into recovery, enter the following command:
- Your phone will boot into recovery mode. You can navigate using Volume buttons and select using Power button.
- To boot into recovery mode without any command, just power off the phone and restart it by pressing volume down and power on at the same time, then immediately followed by holding the home button. Refer the screenshot below:
If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.
Latest posts by Lalit Indoria (see all)
- [APK DOWNLOAD] Google Play Store 4.5.10 With IAP Indicator, Activity Sharing & More - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Android 4.4.1 OTA Update Rolling Out to Nexus Devices - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Official CyanogenMod 11 M1 Rolling Out To Nexus Devices Today - December 6, 2013