HTC One X is one of the best smarpthones running Android OS and is perhaps much better that Samsung Galaxy S3. Hacking HTC One X would be a great idea considering the fact that you can install Jelly Bean on HTC One X. You must have already experienced Ice Cream Sandwich on this device and now it is time to update it to the latest version of Android 4.1, Jelly Bean. The features of Jelly Bean would obviously lure you to install this ROM on your HTC One X. This update is not official and is brought to you by a custom ROM created by TripNRaVeR at XDA forums. This custom ROM runs on CyanogenMod 10 which has not come to many devices but thanks to the developer to make it work on HTC One X.
Before you try to install Jelly Bean on HTC One X, you must be aware that the bootloader of your phone must be unlocked (using HTCDev.com) and your phone should also not be network locked, else you might brick your device.
Also, you need to root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. ROM Manager Application would be of great help in installing CWM on your phone. Please do this only if you don’t mind your phone’s warranty being void.
To install this ROM, head over to the original thread and download the ROM zip file and follow the installation instructions that are given below in this tutorial. The original thread is currently in development stage and the thread gives more details about what is working and what is not working in this ROM.
- You must have android-SDK installed with all the generic addons.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CM 10 Jelly Bean on HTC One X
- I assume that you have downloaded the ROM zip file from the original thread as given above. Now you need to extract the “boot.img” file alone from the zip file and place it in “platform-tools’ folder of your Android SDK.
- Copy the ROM zip file to your SD card.
- Boot your device into bootloader mode by powering off your device and then reboot by holding the Volume Down button.
- Press the power button to select the fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Open Command Prompt in the location where adb.exe is present. It is usually present in the platform-tools folder.
- Enter the following command to verify that your device drivers are installed properly:
This should show your phone’s serial number in command prompt. If not, you need to check the drivers for your device.
- Now enter the following command to flash the boot.img file to your device:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After this, type “adb reboot recovery” to reboot your device into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “install zip from SD card’>”Chooze zip from SD card” and select the zip file that you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Select the zip file and flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
You must now have Android 4.1 Jelly Bean installed on your HTC One X. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below 🙂