As already reported, Samsung is pushing out Jelly Bean updates to Samsung Galaxy S3 devices in some parts of Europe. These regions are the first in the world to receive official Jelly Bean update for their Galaxy S3. In case you do not get the official OTA update notification on your Galaxy S3 due to usage of custom ROMs or any other reason, we are here to let you know how to update your Galaxy S3 to official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware. The firmware available as of now is I9300XXDLIB. Make sure you follow all the steps given below to update your Galaxy S3 to official Jelly Bean firmware.
Since this is a custom ROM, the warranty of your device will not be void. Also, if you are using a custom ROM and have rooted your phone, this update will revoke root access and you will have to root your phone again.
Make sure you backup everything before you proceed as you will need to wipe all data when you update your phone.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps. You can restore data of apps after rooting your phone.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install XXDLIB Jellly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S3
- Download the firmware package to your computer.
- Download ODIN v1.85 to flash the firmware to your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot it into download mode (Home+power+vol down).
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and make sure the “ID:Com” section in Odin turns yellow. If it doesn’t you may need to troubleshoot the device drivers on your PC.
- Click on PDA button and select the file “I9300XXDLIB_I9300OXFDLI1_I9300XXDLIB_HOME.tar.md5”.
- Click on Phone button and select the file which has “MODEM” in its name.
- Make sure “Auto Reboot” and “F.Reset Time” are checked in Odin.
- Click on Start button.
The Official Jelly bean firmware for Galaxy S3 will be flashed to your phone. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below and we will be happy to help you 🙂