It’s the second quarter of the year and as promised, Sony is rolling out Android 4.4.2 update for its high-end devices. The first ones in the line are Sony Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, & Tablet Z. The OTA update is rolling out right now but it is a staged rollout and hence most parts of the world won’t be receiving it as of now. However, folks at XDA are kind enough to capture the OTA update and mirror it to some file hosting websites for us to download.
The Android 4.4.2 update brings in a lot of features that you might have seen in the Xperia Z2. Sony has however listed down the changelog on their official blog:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing improved performance & user interface (UI) optimisation…
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens. You’ll also spot a revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (also with a fresh new look)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- As you might expect, we’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for one and all… some of our favourites look like:
- Messaging – a few UI adjustments here & there, including a slicker “send” animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun… also worth noting, you’ll find smileys wherever there’s an app with a keyboard
- Email – you’ll be able to both load and see more mails… but don’t fret, navigation of said load is easier with a more responsive viewing pane – split screen modes divide info for easy digest… especially useful / works a treat on Xperia Tablet Z
- Smart Social Camera – our social imaging experience makes its debut on our first Z Series devices; a selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder… including personal favourite “Creative Effect”, and more for download to boot!
- Battery STAMINA Mode – level-upping our unique power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your juice
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more…
- And proving pretty popular, now totaling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app– enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
To update your phone, you can go to Settings>About phone and check for software updates. If you see an update that notifies you of a new Android version upgrade, you can download it right away but if your device’s bootloader is unlocked, you may not get the update notification. As a workaround, you can download the FTF file and flash it via FlashTool using this tutorial.
Flashing these FTF files will not affect your bootloader status. If your phone is rooted, you will lose root access after the phone is updated and you will have to root your phone once again. If you do not unlock the bootloader and do not root the phone either, you will not lose warranty of your device.