I don’t know why this happened, but you and I can see that Facebook contact syn does not work anymore with custom ROMs that are AOKP based (CyanogenMod, MIUI etc.). This applies only to the native Facebook app – the one from Facebook and does not apply to any other third party apps that let you access Facebook – Friendcaster for example.
Niranjan has provided a simple fix to this and you can make contact sync work pretty well on your custom ROM just by flashing a zip file from CWM or by using the ADB method. Don’t worry, you don’t need to download ADB files or run any commands. All commands are encoded in a batch file. You can run it and see that the issue is fixed.
If you end up in a bootloop or face a lot of force close issues, you can flash your ROM back. If you are using a CyanogenMod ROM, just flash it back and this process will be undone. Also note, you don’t need to wipe anything if you are flashing the ROM to undo this process.
Fix Facebook Contact Sync Issue
I recommend you to use this ADB method on windows as it is much easier:
- Download the respective zip file from this page and extract its contents to a separate folder.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- From the extracted contents of the zip file, find the file patch_db.cmd,
- Right click on it and select “run as administrator”.
- Once all commands are executed, reboot the phone and see if a contact sync option is available in Settings>Accounts and services.
If that didn’t work, try this CWM method from the instructions given on this page.