The Huawei Honor 8 has been pretty popular and has been rising in ranks since it’s release. With USB-C and a fingerprint sensor, it would be a no brainer to unlock the full potential of this device by rooting it. This tutorial covers the FRD-L04 and the FRD-L09 versions of the Honor 8. You are responsible for your device’s consequences.
- A Windows PC
- Minimal ADB & Fastboot
- USB Cable (double check for faults)
- At least 60% battery remaining on the phone
Unlocking the bootloader
- Visit the official Huawei page and login with your Huawei account. PS: The Huawei account should be used on the device for more than 14 days.
- After logging in, enter the following in the form displayed and submit them:
- The Phone Model (FRD-L04 or FRD-L09)
- The Phone Serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
- IMEI1 code (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
- Product ID (open the dialer and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
- The captcha code
- You will receive the unlock code once the form has been submitted. If you receive an error, this means the Huawei used to apply has not been used for more than 14 days.
- Connect your device and open Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC. Make sure you’ve enabled USB Debugging on your device by tapping the build number in Settings -> About at least 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
- Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
- On Minimal ADB enter “adb devices” (no quotes) to confirm the phone is connected. Once confirmed, enter “adb reboot bootloader” to enter fastboot mode.
- Now, enter “fastboot devices” to confirm the device is connected. After confirmation, enter “fastboot oem unlock [insert unlock code here]” (no brackets, enter the code provided on the website).
- WARNING: Your phone will WIPE itself. All data will be lost! Make sure you have performed a backup of all necessary data.
- Your bootloader is now unlocked.
If you are not in fastboot mode, you can always reboot to it by entering “adb reboot bootloader” in the Minimal ADB. Download the TWRP file here and rename it to “twrp.img” and place on the folder where the Minimal ADB is installed. For most people, it is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
Once the file is in the folder, we can go back to Minimal ADB and type in the command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
This will replace the stock recovery with TWRP. You can reboot to recovery by using the following commands.
If in fastboot mode:
fastboot reboot recovery
If in normal (system) mode:
adb reboot recovery
Rooting the device
We need to download to download SuperSU [v.278] from here. While connected in recovery mode transfer the SuperSU file to your device. Tap install on TWRP and find the transferred file. Select it and you should be prompted to “Swipe to Flash”. This will start installing SuperSU and your device may restart a few times. Your system will reboot and you should see SuperSU in your app drawer. To verify root access, you can download Root Checker by joeykrim and tap “verify root”. If all goes well, you should be prompted to “grant” Superuser access and should see a message confirming the same.
We have now successfully rooted the Honor 8!