The Samsung Galaxy Gear is an awesome gadget to keep up with your device’s notifications, take pictures and a lot more but it is awesome only if you have a Samsung device that has been updated to Android 4.3. If not, you probably won’t buy this gadget. But if you do own a Nexus 5, you can go ahead and purchase the gadget as a small hack makes it compatible with the Nexus 5.
Before Nexus 5 users get started with this, let me inform you that S-Voice and weather will not work. Other features should work well except that some notifications are not displayed on the Galaxy Gear and you need to view them on your phone.
Here’s how to do it, courtesy of Smartwatchfans:
- Download gearmanagerstub.apk and install it on your device
- Download Gear Manager 1.6.111801 APK and rename the .apk file to .zip file.
- Open the zip file and go to assets/preinstallapks
- Install all the APKs you find in that folder in your device.
- Rename the .zip to .apk again and install it on your Nexus 5.
- Now pair your Nexus 5 with the Galaxy Gear which may not be possible in the first try but you should succeed with subsequent trials.
- Install ATNManager 1.2.2
- Allow ATNManager access via Settings > Security > Notification Access
- Open ATN Manager and choose what notifications you wish to receive on the Galay Gear.
While this hack works for Nexus 5 as of now, you can be sure that a future OTA update for the Galaxy Gear from Samsung should patch it. Did you try doing this? What were the results? Do let us know in the comments below.