Sony Xperia Ray and Xperia Play have already received a Jelly Bean custom ROM. Now, it is Xperia Mini & Xperia Mini Pro’s turn. In this tutorial we will tell you how to install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Sony Xperia Mini & Xperia Mini Pro. This ROM is also a part of the Kang Xperia Project which aims at developing AOKP ROMs for Sony Xperia phones. The ROM is not fully stable and has some bugs which can be found using the link in the installation instructions.
This is a custom ROM which can be installed only by wiping all data on your phone. This is to prevent force close errors and low memory issues. You will also need to use some ADB commands to flash the kernel about which we will discuss in the installation instructions.
At the time of writing, camera and navigation menu in ROM control does not work in build 2 of this ROM but may work in later builds. The link in installation instructions will lead you to a page which contains all builds of the ROM.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network, else you might brick your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Sony Xperia Mini/Mini Pro
- Download the latest version of the ROM zip file from here and extract the boot.img file to a separate folder in your PC.
- Copy the ROM zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode and connect it to the PC using USB Cable.
- Flash the boot.img file to your phone using the fastboot command: fastboot boot boot.img (read more about adb commands).
- After flashing the kernel, boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup from recovery mode or if you do not wish to boot into recovery to make a nandroid makeup, use online nandroid backup tool.
- Wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode and then go to “Mounts/storage” and wipe system.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Latest posts by Lalit Indoria (see all)
- [APK DOWNLOAD] Google Play Store 4.5.10 With IAP Indicator, Activity Sharing & More - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Android 4.4.1 OTA Update Rolling Out to Nexus Devices - December 6, 2013
- [DOWNLOAD] Official CyanogenMod 11 M1 Rolling Out To Nexus Devices Today - December 6, 2013