New Year’s come and go and so do Mobile Games. Whether it is gameplay mechanics, graphics or storyline, game developers always find a way to one-up their game, push boundaries and deliver in new, unique experiences every single time. Every year, a handful of them change the way people play games, and this year has been an absolute blast.
These are 2016’s Top Trending Games on the Google Play Store’
1. Pokémon GO by Niantic Inc.
Pokémon GO took the world by a storm by its gameplay, encouraging players to head out to the real world and capture their favorite Pokémon. Developer Niantic spared no time in applying their Geo-based gameplay of Ingress to the world of Pokémon. Backed by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, Pokémon GO was built on a solid foundation, albeit with a few bugs at launch. It is safe to say that Pokémon GO has changed the way people look at mobile gaming, and has been one of 2016’s biggest phenomenon.
Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, and many other Pokémon have been discovered on planet Earth!
Now’s your chance to discover and capture the Pokémon all around you—so get your shoes on, step outside, and explore the world. You’ll join one of three teams and battle for the prestige and ownership of Gyms with your Pokémon at your side.
Pokémon are out there, and you need to find them. As you walk around a neighborhood, your smartphone will vibrate when there’s a Pokémon nearby. Take aim and throw a Poké Ball… You’ll have to stay alert, or it might get away!
2. Clash Royale by Supercell
With the huge success of Clash of Clans, Supercell aimed to extend the characters to the world of Clash Royale. With its intuitive real-time gameplay, Clash Royale was a breath of fresh air on the mobile gaming scene. It also took the e-sport world by storm, with competitions taking place all over the globe.
Collect and upgrade dozens of cards featuring the Clash of Clans troops, spells and defenses you know and love, as well as the Royales: Princes, Knights, Baby Dragons and more. Knock the enemy King and Princesses from their towers to defeat your opponents and win Trophies, Crowns and glory in the Arena. Form a Clan to share cards and build your very own battle community.
- Duel players from around the world in real-time and take their Trophies
- Earn chests to unlock rewards, collect powerful new cards and upgrade existing ones
- Destroy opponent’s towers and win Crowns to earn epic Crown chests
- Build and upgrade your card collection with the Clash Royale Family along with dozens of your favorite Clash troops, spells and defenses
- Progress through multiple Arenas all the way to the top
- Form a Clan to share cards and build your very own battle community
- Challenge your Clanmates and friends to a private duel
- Learn different battle tactics by watching the best duels on TV Royale
3. Traffic Rider by Soner Kara
Endless-runners are in abundance in the Play Store and it takes a great deal of effort to stand out among them. Traffic Rider pulls this off by by bringing features like a day/night mode, First-Person and awesome gameplay mechanics.
Traffic Rider takes the endless racing genre to a whole new level by adding a full career mode, first person view perspective, better graphics and real life recorded bike sounds. The essence of smooth arcade racing is still there but in the shell of the next generation.
- First person camera view
- 26 motorbikes to choose from
- Detailed environments with day and night variations
- Career mode with 70+ missions
- Online leaderboards and 30+ achievements
- Support for 19 languages
4. slither.io by Lowtech Studios
Borrowing ideas from the online browser-based phenmenon agar.io, slither.io extends the concepts to snakes and still manages to pull off a fun and engaging gameplay mechanic. If you prefer to play against real people instead of the AI, the online multiplayer mode allows you to join lobbies from all over the world, with hundreds playing at a given time.
Play against other people online! Can you become the longest player?
If your head touches another player, you will explode and then it’s game over. But if others run into YOU, then THEY will explode, and you can eat their remains!
In slither.io, you have a chance to win even if you’re tiny. You can swerve in front of a much larger player to defeat them, no matter how big you are!
5. Dream League Soccer by First Touch
Wrestling away the top spot for a football game from behemoths like EA’s FIFA is a tough but Dream League Soccer manages to do just that. With simple graphics and solid gameplay mechanics, Dream League Soccer just might be your next favorite football game.
Dream League Soccer is here, and it’s better than ever! Soccer as we know it has changed, and this is YOUR chance to build THE best team on the planet. Recruit real FIFPro™ licensed superstars, build your own stadium, and take on the World with Dream League Online as you march towards glory, on your road to Soccer Stardom!
- Sign top superstar players such as Diego Costa and Aaron Ramsey to create your very own Dream Team!
- Be prepared for smart, tactical AI to form a challenging and addictive experience. With all new visuals, realistic animations and 60fps dynamic gameplay
- Dream League Online puts your Dream Team against the very best in the world. Work your way through the ranks to prove your team is the greatest!
- Sync progress between devices with Google Play Cloud!
- Exclusive soundtrack provided by Sunset Sons
What were your favorite picks for 2016? What games are you looking forward for the coming year? Let us know in the comments below!
Here’s to wonderful 2017.