HTC Desire HD Gets AOSP Based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM
HTC is not providing any upgrades for the HTC Desire HD, however the developer community at XDA is working on getting the latest version of Android on this device. The codefireX team has been successful in developing an Android 4.2.1 ROM for HTC Desire HD. This ROM has been built on AOSP sources. The ROM is stable and can be used daily if you don’t really use Bluetooth which is not working at the time of writing. Hopefully an update would have Bluetooth working.
The version of the ROM we are talking about here is BR2. If the number increases later, you may expect some bug fixes in the ROM. In this guide we will let you know how to install this ROM on your device. If you face any issues, you may comment below.
- NOT simply a re-named CM build
- Open Source as all AOSP ROMs deserve to be
- Easily switch between a custom and “vanilla” experience in the settings app “on/off switch”
- LOTS of customization options including quick settings
- Built with a custom toolchain, strict aliasing, -O3 completely (including thumb_cflags), and other Linaro optimizations such as OOM/LMK changes. JUST TRY TO FIND A FASTER SOURCE BUILT JELLYBEAN ROM!
- Faster, more regular AOSP merge strategy than CM (and not just the release branches, but also master/jb-dev)
- USB mount
- Camcorder (720p)
- Audio(including headset)
- WiFi Tethering
- Mobile Data
- Button Backlights/LEDS
Steps to Install codefireX Android 4.2.1 ROM on HTC Desire HD
- Download the latest version of the ROM from this link.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to your SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do this, you first need to boot into HBoot and then select Recovery mode option
- In the recovery mode, make a nandroid backup which will be useful if you wish to revert back. Alternatively, you can also create online nandroid backups.
- After this, wipe cache and data from recovery mode.
- Go to “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the zip file you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash the zip file in the next screen.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
This should install the ROM on your phone. You may flash gapps zip file from goo.im to get Google Play Store and other Google apps. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.