HTC Explorer now has a very fine and most stable ROM – the JaggyROM by XDA forum member jaggyjags. We have already discussed about the CyanogenMod 9 ROM for HTC Explorer which gives you an ICS taste on your Pico but it wasn’t an official one and may have some bugs. JaggyROM is also not an official ROM but it has become very stable with the recent release. We at Hack My Android do not feature ROMs which are not stable unless they create some hype on the forums and this is the reason why we had not written about the previous versions of JaggyRom. The latest version 3.0 is stable (according to the developer). There may be even more stable releases for which we request you to refer to the original thread, the link to which is present in the installation instructions.
Before we proceed with the installation instructions of this ROM, let’s have a look at some of the features of this ROM as given by the developer.
Features of JaggyRom for HTC Explorer
- Kernel by yannou90.
- Ext-2,3,4 partition support.
- task killer tweak for speed
- Apps2sd enabled (no need of link2sd anymore, don’t use it).
- BusyBox installed
- Booting HTC Sound disabled
- Bash shell support
- /etc/init.d scripts support
- Dalvic-cache to SD enabled
- Zipaligned to optimize Ram usage at every boot.
- +135mb free internal memory at startup.
- “ES file explorer”, “Easyinstaller” and “A2SDGUI” preinstalled.
- Dissabled scrolling cache.
- Blue theme with scrolling glow.
- CRT on/off animation. (thanks to pchandra)
- Advanced quick settings.
- Swipe to remove notifications.
What’s new with the latest version? Here is what the developer says:
- Increase touchscreen sensitivity
- Less RAM usage through zipalign. | World first smart zipaligning
- Reduced /dbdata, /data, /sdcard usage of *.db files and faster database access. | World first smart sqlite optimizing
- Faster disk access through remount script (noatime, disabled barrier etc) | World first smart remounting
- Better network throughput from TCP tweaks and 3G tweaks
- Tons of prop tweaks
- Overall Better Performance and Battery Life
- Less lags through LMK Tweak and Various VM Tweaks
- Faster SDCARD Read/Write Speed
- Bypass website like thepiratebay.se
- CheckinProvider.apk – OTA update
- com.htc.friendstreamwidget.apk – don’t care for friend stream
- com.htc.musicwidget.apk – prefer to redownload from htc hub
- DCSutility – stocks related
- dfpi.apk – I don’t quite remember what this was…
- Friendstream.apk – dont care for friendstream
- GSD.apk – some sort of test app accessed through a dialer code
- htccalendarwidgets – prefer to redownload when needed
- htccontactwidgets – prefer to redown…you get it by now
- htccotaclient – OTA update thingy
- htcfeedback.apk – pretty sure htc doesnt want to hear about crashes on a hackerified device…
- htcmailwidgets – it’s a widget!
- htcmsgwidgets – more widgets
- htcquicklaunchwidget – not so quick
- htcrecommends – don’t use htc likes
- htcrecommendswidget – ^^^
- htcresetnotify – notification that appears on crashes and stuff
- htcweatherwallpaper – ….
- mail.apk – I use only gmail…
- myhtc.apk – think that’s htc sense account related. I don’t quite remember
- myreportagent.apk – more htc report stuff
- quicklookup.apk – don’t use
- qxmd2sd.apk – heard it was a htc logging app
- smith.apk another htc logging app
- transfer-pico-126.96.36.199.s35 – bluetooth transfer app. never used it, even on nokia
- upgradesetup.apk – ota related
If you download the Lite version you will have more of internal memory left unused. However, if you need any of the above widgets, I suggest you to backup these APKs using Root Explorer or using Titanium Backup after you have rooted your HTC Explorer.
When you install this ROM, all data on your phone will be wiped, It is recommended to perform a backup using the following steps.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install JaggyRom on HTC Explorer
- To install this ROM, you need to root your phone and install custom recovery using this tutorial. After you are done with it, continue with step 2.
- Download the latest version of JaggyRom (either full or lite version) from the original thread.
- Copy the ROM zip file to your SD card.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Wipe dalvik cache from recovery mode.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file you had copied to your SD card in Step 3.
- Flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
You must be done with the installation of JaggyRom on your HTC Explorer. For any issues and queries, you can either refer the original thread or contact our author Goutam Dutta who uses HTC Explorer phone.