This would be a great news for the HTC One X users. It looks like many high-end devices are getting the unofficial ports of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware update and now HTC One X is one among them. In this tutorial we will tell you how to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware on HTC One X. No doubt, your device should not be locked to any network. If it is, you need to unlock it first. And also, before you apply any new firmware to your device, you need to unlock its bootloader. You can unlock the bootloader of HTC One X from HTCDev.com Before you unlock, make sure you have root access. You can check it by using any of the apps that require root access.
Please note that this is not an official update. This is just an SDK port by developers at XDA. It is still in beta and not ready for daily use. As of now, we will be mentioning what works and what does not but further improvements can be traced on the thread at XDA forums.
A few things which do not work are:
Screen Captures of Jelly Bean on HTC One X
You can watch it in action in the video below:
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on HTC One X. You need to wipe data to update your firmware and hence it is always a good idea to backup before you proceed with any updating activity on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on HTC One X
- Download HTC Sync to get the necessary drivers if you do not have them already installed on your computer.
- Download the ROM from the original thread. We are linking to the thread because there would be further updates to the ROM and hence you can download the latest version as and when needed.
- Cop the downloaded zip file to your SD card, preferably to the SD card’s root folder so that you can easily locate it when you are in the recovery mode.
- Download Flash_Boot.zip file from here.
- Extract the Flash_Boot.zip file to a separate folder in your computer.
- Open the jellybean_endeavoru_tgascoigne.zip (downloaded in Step 2) where you will find the boot.img file which is present in every ROM. Extract the boot.img file alone to a separate location.
- Copy the boot.img file to the folder where you have extracted Flash_Boot.zip.
- Turn off your phone and boot into Fastboot phone. To do this, first enter the bootloader mode by pressing the Volume Down button while powering on the device and then select the Fastbooot mode using Volume buttons.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB Cable.
- Go to the folder where you extracted Flash_Boot.zip file and run the flash-boot-windows.bat file if you are on Windows or run the other .sh files if you are on Mac or Linux. This will flash the required Kernel.
- Press the Power button on the phone to select Bootloader mode and then select the Recovery mode to boot your phone into recovery mode.
- From the recovery mode select “Wipe all data/factory reset” “Wipe cache partition” and “Wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the zip file you downloaded in Step 2.
- Once the zip file is flashed, go back and select “Reboot system now”.
After you reboot your phone, you can see that your HTC One X is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. If you have any issues while installing Jelly Bean Firmware on HTC One X, you can use the comments section below 🙂