We really don’t think anyone needs any sort of introduction to the might and charm of the father to what we call as the most dominant series of mobile phones, the Samsung Galaxy S. It was a true trend-setter that enabled the users to experience the real strength of the Android OS with unrivaled power and charisma at the time of it’s launch which was impossible by any of the firms back in those days and helped the whole community to get an upscale against rivals like the iPhone.
It was indeed a big time heartbreaker from the firm which denied the flagship to be able to get an Android ICS upgrade straight away. But that’s how it goes in the droid world, firms reject and then there we have a community who doesn’t lets the owners down each and every time they have been put up an ask. We are definitely talking about the XDA developers community as after a successful ICS port to the majesty, we have a fully functional Android 4.2 update ready to be flashed into one of the most potentially acclaimed phones out there over the past 3 years.
Excited? Let’s begin with the prerequisites as we guide your way through the whole process. Since this is not an Official ROM, you are advised to wipe all data on your phone to prevent low memory issues and force closes. But before you do that, make sure you backup all data and restore it later after the completion of the installation process.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM On Samsung Galaxy S:
- Download ROM zip file and Gapps zip file from the original thread.
- Copy both zip files to your SD card and turn off your phone.
- Boot your device into recovery mode and make a nandroid backup.
- After this, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache from the recovery mode.
- Go to mounts and storage menu and format /system.
- Select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file. Flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Well, if your phone booted up successfully, you currently have the latest piece of software available for the platform! Please make a note that since this is still under development, you may or may not face bugs. So, please go through the disclaimer before doing the flashy stuff!
If you have any comments/suggestion to make, please leave us your words in the comments section! 🙂