AOKP also known as Android Open Kang Project is yet another type of custom ROM just like CyanogenMod or MIUI but offers some more customization. The lead developer, and founder of AOKP ROM, is Roman Birg who is also a full-time college student. The AOKP Jelly Bean ROM for Sony Xperia Ray is a combined work of all members of KangXperiaProject. The ROM about which we have mentioned here is the build 2. There will be further builds with much more improvements in the performance of the ROM.
Since this is a custom ROM it may have bugs, hence we recommend you to download the latest version of this ROM from the link in the installation instructions. Also, this ROM is build upon Android 4.1 Jelly Bean sources.
The features of an AOKP ROM can be found here.
Since this is a custom ROM, you need to wipe all data on your phone to prevent low memory and force close issues. Hence, it is recommended to make a backup of all of your data on the phone using the steps given below.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network, else you might brick your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Sony Xperia Ray
- Download the latest build of the ROM zip file from here and Gapps zip file from here.
- Connect your phone to the computer and copy both zip file to your SD card
- Turn off your phone and boot into recovery (press back button when led is purple).
- Make a nandroid backup from recovery mode.
- Wipe data/factory reset and then go to “Mounts/storage” and wipe system.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card.
- Repeat the above step to flash Gapps zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Your phone must now be running AOKP Jelly Bean ROM, If you face any issues, feel free to comment below or refer the original thread.