The LG Optimus L5 has been one of the better performers in the lower mid range courtesy the specs that the phone offered for the buck at the time of it’s launch and especially the larger screen that had made this guy tough enough to compete with it’s higher counterparts and while the 4 incher supplied Android 4.0 straight out of the box, it also faced some betrayal from LG’s part who not only ditched the phone out of it’s phone update schedule but also got it replaced with a bumped up version of it running the latest of the Android OS. Need some painkillers? Hop On as we are going to help you treat your LG Optimus L5 with the latest version(till the recent times!) with a pinch of Cyanogenmod flavor added to taste.
In this tutorial, we will be guiding you through the update process of your phone using a CM10.1 or Cyanogenmod 10.1 ROM which is an aftermarket firmware based upon Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Cyanogenmod ROMs are known for their superior stability and tweak ups that work hand in hand to enrich the overall user experience while keeping it all in line with the vanilla UI’s grace.
Before you proceed with the installation, we recommend you to backup all data on your phone. To make backups easily, you can read our complete backup guide. If you do not have device drivers installed, you can download them here. We are not responsible for any damage your device might face with this guide – the chances in this case are very less though.
Steps to Install CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on LG Optimus L5:
- Download the flashable zip file for the firmware from here and the gapps from here.
- Connect your LG Optimus L5 to the Computer via USB Cable and copy the ROM zip file to your internal sdcard which is the /sdcard/ folder.
- Disconnect your device from the PC and turn it off.
- Boot your device into ClockworkMod Recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup in the recovery mode so that you can revert back if you wish to.
- Wipe everything up or do a factory reset and wipe Dalvik cache if your want to avoid “low on system memory” problem.
- Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the internal sd card.
- Flash the zip file.
- Now flash the Gapps file package in a similar fashion.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Please make a note that this boot up make take a bit longer than usual and hence be a little patient. If your phone booted up properly, let it get stable for a minute or two and hey! you’re home! Further, you can head to the original thread for more on this ROM. Feel free to leave your queries in the comments section or you can contact the author on Google Plus or you can head over to our Facebook page for some quick help either from us or the community members!