After the heroic success of the first breed Android smartphones from HTC with the trademark HTC Hero kicking some sweet chin music, Verizon relaunched it under a newer design and a new name the HTC Droid Eris. The generation old phone functioned on the Qualcomm MSM7600 chpiset ticked at 528Mhz along with 288Mb of RAM but according to the people at XDA forums, this old guy has still got some life left in himself.
The developers @XDA are back again with a CM10 or Cyanogenmod10 ROM for the Verizon bound HTC Droid Eris. Although the phone’s spec-sheet is really nothing to boast anything about, but it’s the mob and it’s popularity that is keeping it alive.
About the ROM:
CM10 or Cyanogenmod10 is an off market firmware for a list of Android devices which is based on the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Cyanogemod ROMs contain a lot of major tweaks over the original stock Android source without loosing the originality of the droid user experience. Cyanogenmod Team is the said to be the king of off market firmwares as they deliver nightly updates along with bug fixes on the go as per the user feeds. Cyanogenmod ROMs are known for their high stability along with superb performance which can help you access the full potential of your droid which is limited by stock firmwares. CM10 is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean which emphasizes on taking the touch user interface to a whole new scenario under Google’s “project butter”. Known issues:
- Camcorder and panorama
- Headphone jack
- A few more bugs as this is just an early build.
If you’re through with the preludes, let’s begin with our tutorial:
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install Official CM10 Jelly Bean ROM on HTC Droid Eris :
- Download the zip file from the original thread.
- Copy the downloaded zip to the root folder of your sdcard.
- Boot into recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, you can navigate using the volume buttons and select using menu/home button.
- Make a nandroid backup in recovery mode.
- Use these to navigate and select “Wipe” and then “Wipe data” and also consider wiping Dalvik cache if you don’t want to face “Low on memory” issues.
- Now, navigate through the interface choose “select zip from SD card” and select the zip file which we downloaded earlier.
- After it gets completed, you can flash the GAPPS file in a similar fashion and get back using the back button and select “Reboot” and you are done!.
If your phone rebooted succesfully, you might be enjoying this new firmware on your HTC Droid Eris if not, please boot into recovery again and clear the cache and hit reboot. PLEASE! make a note that this is just an early build, so, it may be having some bugs and other performance issues. But don’t worry too much as the developers are working hard to get all of them fixed as fast they can. If you liked this post, please pay us a word in the comments section. All comments/suggestions/queries will be an aid for us to keep improving 🙂 .