Released back in February 2011, the Samsung Galaxy Mini has been one of the deal sealers for the Korean mobile firm. At it’s launch, this little dude had a lot of things to say, to prove. Just after releasing, the smash-hit bestseller, the Samsung Galaxy S and having it’s eye on the noteworthy success of the Sony Ericsson minis, Samsung entered the low budget android arena with all hopes on the Galaxy mini. The so called “mini” manages to pack up a surprisingly good 3.2″ qvga display with a 600mhz processor+Adreno 200 GPU for the ask ( believe me, the were quite decent specs at that time ) inside a robust yet youngish looking body which feels quite good to hold for the price tag it has on display.
Being one of the most popular customers in the Android development market, the Samsung Galaxy mini has received quite a healthy number of Custom ROMs and Recoveries along with a fully functional ICS ROM. But wait a minute, the developers still think that there is still some life left in this little thing as they are up again with the tasty Jelly Bean update on the block.
It is a CM10 Jelly Bean ROM compiled directly from the recently released stock source and as mentioned on the page, it is still under development so please move ahead at you own risk ( Don’t worry too much, the developers are working hard to get all the bugs fixed as soon as possible.) .
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Steps to Install CM10 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Mini.
- Download the ROM zip file from the original thread ( link provided at the bottom of the post ).
- Copy the downloaded zip to the root folder of your phone.
- If you have ROM manager installed, you can proceed via it or Boot into the recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, you can navigate using the volume buttons and select using menu/home button.
- Make a nandroid backup in recovery mode.
- Use these to navigate and select “Wipe” and then “Wipe data” and also consider wiping Dalvik cache if you don’t want to face “Low on memory” issues.
- Now, navigate through the interface choose “select zip from SD card” and select the zip file which we downloaded earlier.
- After it gets completed, get back using the back button and select “Reboot” and you are done!.
If you are done with the steps mentioned above (in the way they are), you can experience the latest of the Google confectionery on you Samsung Galaxy Mini.
For downloads and further queries, you can head on to the original thread.
If you liked this tutorial or found it useful, don’t forget to leave you queries/suggestions in the comments section .