While the HTC Explorer has been climbing up the ladder in the developer’s community with a totally functional Cyanogenmod 9 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM with a CM10 port in the works, we have a special entry to ignite up all the enthusiasm in you which will make you fall in love with your little pico all over again. We are talking about a fully replicated Xperia ROM based on CM9 for our HTC Explorer.
Who doesn’t likes the Xperia UI? In my opinion, this is one of the key factors for the success of the new Xperia lineup as it is truly one of the neatest and fastest stock interface available to branded phones in the market. The Xperia UI is known for it’s crystal clear visuals along with the snappy/one of a kind Overview mode which gives a better control over the widgets spread over the various homescreen panes( It does looks cool! ) and a whole bunch of custom widgets which add to the aesthetics of the interface.
About the ROM:
This is a Custom ROM based on Cyanogenmod9 designed to replicate the classy Xperia UI on your HTC Explorer. CM9 or Cyanogenmod 9 is the famous ICS firmware released by the kings of off-market firmware, the Cyanogenmod team. Cyanogenmod ROMs are well-known for their high stability and some major tweaks over the stock Android source which help you to pull out each and every single bit of sweat out of your phone’s capabilities.Let’s have a sneak at some of the key features of this ROM:
- XPERIA Launcher
- XPERIA Keyboard
- XPERIA Walkman
- XPERIA S Theme
- XPERIA Media Sounds
- XPERIA Widgets
- XPERIA Font(in next build)
- XPERIA LWP
- MIUI File Manager
- BUBBLES BOOTANIMATION
- And obviously zipaligned deodexed etc.
Please make a note that since it’s a Custom ROM, it may or may not have bugs, if you come across any, refer to the official thread and report. The Developers will respond as fast as they can.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CM9 Xperia-ICS ROM on your HTC Explorer :
- Download the zip file from the original thread.
- Copy the downloaded zip to the root folder of your sdcard.
- Boot into recovery.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and flash the ROM zip file.
- Use these to navigate and select “Wipe” and then “Wipe data” and also consider wiping Dalvik cache if you don’t want to face “Low on memory” issues.
- Now, navigate through the interface choose “select zip from SD card” and select the zip file which we downloaded earlier.
- After it gets completed, you can flash the GAPPS file in a similar fashion and get back using the back button and select “Reboot” and you are done!.
Well, if you have followed this tutorial step by step, you must be enjoying the Xperia experience on your little pico.
Please make a note that this is a Custom ROM and hence, it may or may not have bugs. In case you come across any, please refer to the developer page of the ROM and report. The developers are working hard to get all the bugs fixed as soon as they can. So, please help the community to grow.
If you found this tutorial to your aid, please pay us a word in the comments section in the form of your comments/suggestions/quries as we’d like to hear from you to keep improving.