HTC Explorer is one among those low-end Android Devices which are gaining attention just like the LG Optimus Me. However, there haven’t been many custom ROMs for HTC Explorer as of now. The reason is that most of the custom ROMs are based on CyanogenMod ROMs. CyanogenMod ROMs are used as the base for building custom ROMs because they offer many opportunities of customization. Also, CyanogenMod ROMs are the most famous custom ROMs for any Android device. sakindia123, a developer at XDA forums is working hard at getting CyanogenMod working on HTC Explorer. The current build is not fully stable, however the ROM will be updated frequently and you will see almost everything working in the ROM very soon.
To know what is working and what is not working in the ROM, you need to refer the original thread, the link to which is present in the installation instructions.
To install this ROM, you must have a rooted device, unlocked bootloader and custom recovery installed as this ROM can be flashed only via the recovery mode. Please note that this process will void the warranty of your device.
Screenshots of CyanogenMod ROM on HTC Explorer
Since this is a custom ROM, you will have to wipe all data present in your ROM. Hence it is advisable to take a backup of all data on your device using the steps given below.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CyanogenMod On HTC Explorer
- Download ROM from original thread.
- Copy the ROM zip file and Gapps zip file to your SD card, preferably in the root folder so that you can locate it easily when you are in the recovery mode.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot it into the bootloader mode and then select the Recovery mode option to boot into recovery mode.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, select the option of “backup”. This makes a nandroid backup which helps you revert back to the previous ROM.
- Now select “wipe” and wipe all data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Select the option “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the zip file you have copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash the ROM and repeat the previous step to flash the Gapps zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
This will install CyanogenMod ROM on HTC Explorer easily. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below and we will be happy to help you.