This is our first post on hacking HTC Legend Android phone and we do promise that there would be more on HTC Legend in future. if you wish to root HTC Legend, you can use HTC SuperTool. This marks the beginning of hacking your phone and now we will tell you how to install CyanogenMod 9 Ice Cream Samdwich 4.0.4 on your HTC Legend. Before you proceed with the steps to install this custom ROM, you will have to unlock the bootloader of your device. The bootloader of all HTC Devices can be unlocked using HTCDev.com. Once all this is done, you can proceed with CM9 installation on your HTC Legend.
Please note that this is not an official CyanogenMod ROM and is a custom ROM by zeubea at XDA forums. This ROM is in beta 4 stage and does not have everything working. However, you can use this ROM for daily use!
Following are a few issues that you might face with this ROM:
Youtube HQ laggy (normal youtube works fine)
searching GSM networks is not working,
headset icon missing (although headset works)
working, but third part app is needed for:
wifi sleep (dont use native wifi sleep)
There will be further updates to this ROM which can be found on the original thread, the link to which is present in the Installation steps.
Features (What Works)
- touchscreen, haptic response
- GSM functions (calling, texting, data)
- wifi, wifi strength indicator
- browser, market, gapps (google play, gmail, gmail accounts, etc.. ), and other apps (Tapatalk, Chess Lite, etc.)
- overclock (really not necessary since HWA, it can work at 600MHz; if you do it, not beyond to 787 mhz)
- tones, ringtones, notifications, alarms
- Stock Music player,
- most of widgets (Bookmarks, Gallery preview, Time and Weather, GMail, etc.)
- USB tethering
- USB mass storage
- FM radio, using spirit FM App and setting for msm7x30 Method (thanks to ranger4740)
- Wifi tethering with OpenGarden
- Hw Acceleration (Stock Gallery, Live Wallpapers, Video, Youtube, Google Maps App, etc.).
- Camera (photos, preview, panoramic, camcording=> with Camera Illusion app).
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CM9 ICS 4.0.4 on HTC Legend
- Download the ROM zip file from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the Computer via USB Cable and copy the downloaded zip file to your SD card. It is advisable not to copy it into deep folders else it would be difficult to find it in the recovery mode.
- Disconnect your phone from PC and boot it into recovery mode. You need to first boot into HBoot and then select “Recovery” option.
- In the recovery mode, select “Wipe” and wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- After this, go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you have moved to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash the zip file in the next step.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
This will install ICS on HTC Legend easily. You can verify it by going to Settings and check the Android version. If you are stuck on the boot screen, you need to boot into recovery and Wipe cache again. For any more issues, feel free to comment below and we will be happy to help you!