Sony is pushing out ICS updates for many devices by now and if you own a Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray you can be sure that your device will also get official ICS update soon. But it is really tough to wait fir the official ICS update and we understand that. So why not get the official update on your phone right now? In this post we will tell you how to install Ice Cream Sandwich on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray. The process is quite simple and uses Flashtool which is required for updating any Sony device. All you need to do is download the firmware and flash it to your phone using Flashtool.
Please note that this update will revoke root access on your phone (in case you had rooted it). The Build number for this ICS update is 4.1.A.0.562.
It is very unlikely that you will lose any data on your device but if you are stuck at some position you may need to perform a factory reset. Having a backup is good in such situations!
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install Ice Cream Sandwich on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray
- Download Flashtool and Update and rename the Update file as “B”.
- Extract the contents of the B zip file and place them in the flashtool folder which could perhaps be C:Flashtool
- Go to C:/ Drive > flashtool > firmwares > delete everything present and exit.
- Download the ICS Package for Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.
- Extract the contents of the ICS Package and get the .ftf file.
- Place this file in the firmwares folder which could be C:Flashtoolfirmwares
- Run Flashtool.exe and click on the flashing icon which is located on the left below file option after which you must see your firmware on the left as given below:
- On the right side, mark the following as shown below:
- Click on OK button to flash the new firmware. You can later disconnect the device from the PC and it should reboot automatically.
In this way you can easily install Ice Cream Sandwich on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below or check the original thread.