Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is the latest Android version from Google and has been initially released officially in the Nexus 7 only. However, developers at XDA are contantly working to get this firmware on their devices too. Being a user, you might also be eagerly waiting to experience Jelly Bean on your Android device. Galaxy Nexus has been one such device to get a custom ROM that runs on Andoroid 4.1 Jelly Bean and now it is Motorola Xoom. Team EOS has some recognized contributors who have given some wonderful ROMs to Motorola Xoom users. The same team is now developing a custom ROM that runs on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
This post will help you install Android 4.1 on Motorola Xoom Wifi only version and on US 4G version. This ROM is still in development stage and may have some bugs. The ROM released by the developers is the Nightly build and will be updated regularly. To check out the bugs, you can read the installation instructions below and head over to the original development thread.
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on Motorola Xoom. You need to wipe data to update your firmware and hence it is always a good idea to backup before you proceed with any updating activity on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Motorola Xoom
- You must have rooted your Motorola Xoom and install Clockworkmod Recovery on it. You need to have it installed because this ROM can be flashed via Recovery mode only.
- Download the ROM zip file from one of the following pages depending on the variant of Xoom you possess: Xoom Wi-Fi | Xoom US 4G
- Also download gapps-jb-20120712-eos.zip. This will let you use your Google account with the device and will install Google Play Store.
- You now have the ROM zip file and Gapps zip file which can be copied to the SD card to be flashed via Recovery mode.
- Turn off your Motorola Xoom and boot into recovery mode. To do this, press the Power button and Volume down button. Once you see the Motorola logo, press the Volume Up button to select the recovery mode.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, wipe data/factory reset and also wipe cache.
- After this, select the option “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file and flash it.
- Do the same to flash Gapps zip file.
- After this, go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Once your system boots up, you will see that your device is running Android 4,1 Jelly Bean. If you face any issues while you install Jelly Bean on Motorola Xoom, make sure you comment below and we will be happy to help you!