Samsung is now rolling out Ice Cream Sandwich update to Samsung Galaxy Note as most of the Galaxy S2 devices have received ICS update by now. As expected, Samsung has begun from Europe where Galaxy Note is currently receiving ICS update OTA (Over The Air). If you are not in Europe, not to worry, we have a tutorial for you to update your Samsung Galaxy Note with Ice Cream Sandwich. The official OTA update will hit other countries very soon but this tutorial is only for those who can not wait.
Before we proceed, let us have a look at the official video by Samsung which shows how ICS would look on the Samsung Galaxy Note.
Also note that if you are using a custom ROM for your Galaxy Note, you may have to wipe data to prevent force close issues but if you are on the stock firmware, you do not need to wipe data.
The official ICS firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note is known as the XXLPY Firmware. et us now begin with the tutorial to install XXLPY on Samsung Galaxy Note N7000.
It is very unlikely that you will lose any data on your device but if you are stuck at some position you may need to perform a factory reset. Having a backup is good in such situations!
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Make sure you have Samsung KIES installed which will provide the drivers for your phone.
- If you had backed up your data using Titanium Backup or made a nandroid backup, you need to Root XXLPY Firmware.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Install XXLPY ICS Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
- Download XXLPY Firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note.
- Extract the contents of the zip file to a separate folder in your PC and you will get the file N7000XXLPY_N7000XALPY_N7000XXLPT_HOME.tar.md5 You can ignore the other file.
- Download Odin if you don’t have it downloaded already.
- Turn off your phone and boot it into download mode. To do this, press the Volume Down + Center button + Power button.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB Cable.
- The ID:Com section in Odin must turn yellow. If it doesn’t please do not proceed to the next step.
- Open Odin and click on PDA and then select the file N7000XXLPY_N7000XALPY_N7000XXLPT_HOME.tar.md5
- Also check Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time in Odin.
- Your Odin should now look like this
- Click on Start and the XXLPY Firmware will be flashed on your phone.
If somehow the process gets interrupted, repeat the procedure or feel free to use the comments section below