Sony Xperia S, one of the best phones from Sony Mobile is now receiving the official Ice Cream Sandwich Update. So now you can install Ice Cream Sandwich on Sony Xperia S using the procedure which will be discussing in the post below. But before we do that let us inform you about this ICS update and its features. I seriously love the Sony Walkman applications and other few applications like the Xperia S launcher which gives a great look an UI to your phone.
Sony has updated all of their stock applications in this update. If you do not want Sony’s stock applications, you need to root your device and use Titanium Backup app to remove the system apps.
Features of Ice Cream Sandwich on Sony Xperia S
According to the official announcement by Sony Mobile, here is a quote from them regarding the features:
First off, we’re excited to introduce a completely new way to experience your media – your music, images, videos, movies and films – with our new “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies” applications:
- The “WALKMAN” application blends the best of signature Sony audio technology with social features; to discover the music your friends like and share personal favorites. Facebook integration gives you a visual way to interact with content – accessing album art, artist images and information, directly from Gracenote®
- The “Album” application brings new intuitive ways to sort and browse high quality photos and videos in blazing speed, as well as providing instant viewing, commenting and sharing of photos on Facebook and other online albums, leveraging the great camera capabilities of Xperia S
- The “Movies” application streamlines the playback and viewing of movies in high quality audio and video, whilst using intelligent database search to grab movie posters and information for a richer experience
And now for the software upgrade to Android version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich– some of the cool features you can look forward to are:
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets (improved personalization)
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for clear overview of your applications
If that was not enough, have a look at this video which will let you know how ICS would look on your Sony Xperia S:
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on Sony Xperia S. It is very unlikely that you will lose data while installing this update since this is an official one but it is always a good idea to backup before you proceed with any updating activity on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMSon Android.
- Backup call logon Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Androidis not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
If you are on a custom ROM, it is mandatory that you wipe data as you may face force close issues but if you are on the Stock ROM, it is not necessary.
To install ICS on your Xperia S, head over to the next page.