As fast it possibly could be, the people @XDA are on to it. After the first ROM for the Nexus 4 which is one of the battleships of the Jelly Bean 4.2 duo, XDA recognized developer Jaybob413 is up with the ParanoidAndroid ROM for the subjected Android 4.2 Jelly Bean running devices. We have covered almost all the details over the duo as they tend to be the most potential devices for the development purpose in the present scenario.
The ParanoidAndroid ROMs are known for their hybrid capabilities as they allow the facility to switch between the Tablet mode of the UI to the Phone mode by a simple touch, along with a large number of other customizations which can be done via the ParanoidAndroid Settings Tab.
Let’s have a look at the key features of this update:
- Hybrid engine ported, Per App DPI and Per App Layout
- Tablet UI back from the dead
- Per app color
- Quicksettings -> Quicktoggles (first draft, more to follow)
- New recents implementation
- We fixed the aosp lag in the recents view, well, most of it
- New SystemUI Icons that can cope with transparent bars, thanks go to John Xionidis
- See through Lockscreen is back
- Transparent bars + Launcher2 modified to cope with it
- 4.2 Walls and Sounds
- Google stock apps
- Extended Desktop
This is How It Looks Like in Real:
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install ParanoidAndroid ROM on Android 4.2 Devices:
- Update your recovery to the latest version. Pre-4.2 recoveries can mess up your sd card/storage. We recommend TWRP.
- Download ROM zip file and Gapps zip file(this is not an official one!) from the original thread.
- Copy both zip files to your SD card and turn off your phone.
- Boot your device into recovery mode and make a nandroid backup.
- After this, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache from the recovery mode.
- Go to mounts and storage menu and format /system.
- Select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file. Flash it in the next screen.
- Flash the Gapps Zip file in a similar fashion.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
So if you have followed all the steps mentioned above in the way they are meant to be, you must be enjoying one of the coolest things available out there in the Android world! That’s a ParanoidAndroid ROM for your device!
If you still have any confusions/queries or suggestions, you can leave us your word in the comments section or refer to the original thread. We’ll be happy to help 🙂 .