The Huawei Mate 9 was released in November, 2016. Coupled with the Octa-core Hisilcon Kirin 960 and 4GB of RAM, it would almost be a crime not to root this device and unlock it’s true potential. This tutorial will teach you how to install TWRP recovery and root your Huawei Mate 9.
- A Windows PC
- A USB Cable (double check for faults)
- Minimal ADB & Fastboot
- At least 60% battery remaining on your device
Unlocking the Bootloader
Note: This will wipe all data on your device. Make sure you backup important files as necessary before proceeding.
- Enable Developer Options on your device. This can be enabled by going to Settings, About Phone and tapping the Build number about 5 times. This should enable the Developer Options on the Settings menu.
- In Developer Options, turn on Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
- Go to this site and follow the process of creating a Huawei ID and obtaining a bootloader unlock key. Save said code safely, as we will need it to unlock the bootloader of the device.
- Open up Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC and connect the device. Enter “adb devices” to confirm the connection. You should see your device listed. It is advised to disconnect all other Android devices, if any. Enter “adb reboot bootloader”, this will reboot the device to bootloader mode.
- Enter “fastboot devices” to confirm the connection. Now, enter “fastboot oem unlock [unlock code here]”.
- Your device should now be unlocked.
If you’re not in fastboot mode, follow the above steps and enter fastboot mode. We need to download the TWRP files for our respective devices from the links below:
- Unofficial TWRP for Huawei Mate 9: Download
Download the TWRP file, rename it to “twrp.img” (no quotes) and place in the folder where the Minimal ADB is installed. For most people, it is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
Once the file is in the folder, we can go back to Minimal ADB and type in the command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
This will replace the stock recovery with TWRP. Once the flash completes successfully, reboot the device into recovery to verify the installation. To reboot to recovery, simply enter “fastboot reboot recovery” in adb when in the fastboot menu.
Rooting the Huawei Mate 9
After successfully installing TWRP, we need to copy this file to the external SD card and boot to TWRP. Once booted into TWRP, tap Install and choose the zip file we just copied. This will prompt you to “Swipe To Flash”. Once the installation has finished, you can reboot to system to verify the Root status.
To verify root access, you can download Root Checker by joeykrim and tap “verify root”. If all goes well, you should be prompted to “grant” Superuser access and should see a message confirming the same.
- Encryption is not supported yet
- MTP/OTG support is broken