Being a best seller in it’s class and boasting a chipset that is capable enough to get you through with all the basics asks you throw at it, the Samsung Galaxy Y has it all. The entry level android offering from the leader of the market, Samsung, delivers an overall snappy Android 2.3 experience for the buck. But as the mediocre chipset stands as a major setback for both the developers and the users who were in hope for some sort of possible development over the budget droid, there are a few developers who have succeeded in delivering a few custom ROMs for the device.
As we said, there have been a few Custom ROMs spotted for the device and if you are reading this post and own that device, you’re in for a treat! We have this Windows 8 themed Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Y and to me this stands out as one of the cleanest and best ROMs available out there for any device, say the Galaxy Y. It sports the latest cloned Windows 8 launcher and a lot of other themed applications suited for the purpose to give the best possible monochromatic Windows looks without being too heavy on the package.
As you can see, this surely appeals to be one of the most classy ROMs for the little droid which many of the users may be looking for! So, before the urge spills the beans out, let us get started and see whether you can get through with the installation process of the ROM by following this step by step tutorial.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install Windows 8 Themed Custom ROM on Galaxy Y
- Download the zip file from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable and copy the downloaded zip files to your SD card, preferable not within any folder deep inside.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC and turn it off.
- Reboot into recovery mode by pressing Home button + Volume up button and Power button for 20 seconds.
- When you are in the recovery mode, head over to the backup option and perform a nandroid backup. This would be useful if you wish to revert back to your current ROM.
- Now, before proceeding, check whether you have installed deodexed version of the stock ROM(if not, download the linked file and flash via Odin as mentioned here, just flash the downloaded zip instead of the subjected one in this post, and proceed after reboot) which will act as a base for the process.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the zip file(downloaded in Step#1). Flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “reboot system now”.
If your phone rebooted successfully, the Windows 8 themed bootup screen might have sparkled up your face which means you’re through!
If you faced any problems during the installation or have any queries to make, you can refer and post in the comments section and leave us a word or refer the original thread here or rather hit the chatbox! We’ll be there to your aid .
Latest posts by Goutam Dutta (see all)
- Sony Xperia Z1 Honami Press Render Shows Up: Metal Packed - August 25, 2013
- Yandex Shell Home Replacement App Review - August 23, 2013
- Friday: Your Personal Automated Journal [APP REVIEW] - August 20, 2013