So yeah, seems like we were missing out custom ROMs of Samsung Galaxy Y. It has seen quite a lot of development out of which Creed’s ROM has been a really good custom ROM. And now, it is not the Jelly Bean but a Jelly Bean themed ROM which has been based on the Creed’s ROM. Now what is a themed ROM? It just means that it is not built upon Jelly Bean source code and it is not the Android 4.1. It is still a Gingerbread ROM but has been themed in a way to give you the feel of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Why are we featuring it on Hack My Android? Well, the ROM’s first version just went past 2000 downloads within a span of one month and now the developer AvijitGhosh82 has released the second version of this ROM. Big thanks to him and Pratyush.Creed for providing the base of this ROM.
In this tutorial we will guide you to install the Jelly Bean themed ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y, also we will tell you how to backup your data in case you may need to wipe it just to prevent low-memory issues and force closes.
Screenshots of Jelly Bean Themed ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install Jelly Bean Themed ROM on Galaxy Y
- Download the ROM zip file and Gapps zip file from the original thread.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable and copy the downloaded zip files to your SD card, preferable not within any folder deep inside.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC and turn it off.
- Reboot into recovery mode by pressing Home button + Volume up button and Power button for 20 seconds.
- When you are in the recovery mode, head over to the backup option and perform a nandroid backup. This would be useful if you wish to revert back to your current ROM.
- Now, go back and wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file. Flash it in the next screen.
- Go back and select “reboot system now”. Let the media scanning complete and then boot your phone into recovery mode again.
- Do not wipe data and again flash NextToICS Bootanimationfix.zip file.
- Reboot your phone and get into recovery mode again to flash NextToICSROM status toggle zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
This will install Jelly Bean themed ROM on Samsung Galaxy Y. If you face any issues, you can refer the original thread or comment below if you need our assistance. Do let us know your experience with this ROM.