While Samsung provides ICS and Jelly Bean updates to most of its high end devices, the low end and legacy devices get lost in the race of updates. The low-end device owners can however get these updates by installing custom ROMs on their device that run on either Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmwares. In this tutorial, we will help you install Codename Android 3.5.0 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 which runs on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware.
Feautres of Jellybean 4.1.1 Codename 3.5.0 Firmware
The features of this custom ROM as given by the developer:
* Based off of Clean Android 4.1.1 Rev4 (JRO03L)
* File Manager Included
* T-mobile Theme Manager (tmobile, CyanogenMod, xoomdev)
* T9 Dialer/Landscape/Dialpad Settings (CyanogenMod)
* Trebuchet Custom Launcher (CyanogenMod)
* Ability to set custom ringtone delay (in phone settings – Netboy)
* Framework: added support for caller name display (kenshin)
* Framework: added HSPA+ support (shows H+ icon on status bar when connected to hspa+ – Bajee11)
* Framework: ability to set custom carrier label (Netboy)
* Browser: option open tab in incognito mode (Arham Jamal)
* Browser: option to close all other tabs (Arham Jamal)
* Browser: unhid the user agent settings
* DeskClock: added stopwatch and countdown timer (Jorge Ruesga)
* DeskClock: added settings to do nothing/snooze/dismiss and alarm by flipping the device (maurodec)
* DeskClock: you can set an alarm to switch your profile (jorge ruesga)
* Email: added meeting time to email invitation tab (erezak)
* Email: added option to enable/disable LED notifications per email account (apohl79)
* Keyboard: ability to use the volume buttons to move the cursor (romanbb)
* Bluetooth: AVRCP 1.3 (Trey Briggs)
* Settings: ADB over Network (enable TCP/IP debugging over Network interfaces (WiFi, Usb networks)
* Settings: Added option to disable volume adjustment sound (Settings -> Sound – StevenHarper)
* Settings: Option to change the devices hostname
* Settings: Hardware info in about phone (romanbb)
* Settings: Added nfc poling (sethyx)
* Custom Camera App: (CyanogenMod)
- Continuos focus
- Iso Support
- Support for red eye reduction
- Ability to use the power button to take pictures
* Customizable Messaging App:
- Added the ability to display a pop-up QuickMessage when an Sms message is received (DvTonder)
- Added call sender and quick reply notification actions (DvTonder)
- Added Emoji patch from CM MMS app (Robert Burns)
- SMS Templates (rciovati)
- Custom Vibrations (mssmison)
- Timestamp Options (aravance)
* Customizable Phone App (CM)
- Advanced Phone settings (optional vib on outgoing or incoming call or every 45 seconds)
* Customizable Power Menu (codenamedroid)
- Reboot Menu
- Profile Switcher
- Airplane Mode
- Navigation bar toggle
- Silent toggle
* Customizable Status Bar: (Miui, CyanogenMod, romanbb, sethyx, kejar, syaoran12 ,romanbb, Stevespear426, Kyle Teague, Whitehawkx)
- Battery Icon style
- Battery Icon in notification bar
- Miui style battery bar
- Clock style
- Customizable Clock Color
- Clock Am/Pm style
- Clock Day of the Week
- Customizable Signal Text
- Customizable WiFi Signal Text
- Ability to slide your finger across the status bar to control brightness
- Notification counter
* Customizable Notification bar:
- Notification bar Power Widget (Cvcps, DvTonder – CyanogenMod)
- Notification bar Toogles (AOKP – romanbb)
* Customizable Navigation Bar: (Zaphod-Beeblebrox, KhasMek, romanbb, akellar)
- Ability to enable/disable the navigation bar (enable toggle in power menu settings)
- Customizable navigation button actions
- Custom navigation bar ring targets (Team Eos, modified by Codenamedroid)
- customizable navigation bar color (Team Eos, modified by Codenamedroid)
- Customizable navigation button and button glow color
- Menu button visibility and location
- Number of navigation buttons
- Order of navigation buttons
- Navigation bar size
- Navigation bar transparency
* Customizable Lockscreen:
- Up to eight configurable lockscreen targets (Codenamedroid)
- Added optional centered lockscreen layout (Codenamedroid)
- Optional centered lockscreen clock
- Option to disable vibration on the lockscreen (StevenHarper)
- Customizable number of lockscreen targets (CyanogenMod)
- Configurable lockscreen wallpaper (Danesh M)
- Option to always show lockscreen battery (Blunden)
- Add weather to the lockscreen (DvTonder, Danesh M, Marius Volkhart, Rick C, Aokp)
- Add calendar reminders to the lockscreen (David Morgan)
- Lockscreen before secure unlock (Danesh M)
- Ability to unlock with menu (CyanogenMod)
- Quick pin unlock (unlock with pin/password without pressing ok – CyanogenMod)
* Customizable Sound Settings:
- Customizable volume panel (Stevespear426)
- Configurable ascending ringtone (Danny Baumann)
- Safe headset volume (CyanogenMod)
- Volume rocker music controls (CyanogenMod)
- Ability to customize action taken when connecting a headset (syaoran12)
- Face down actions (syaoran12)
* Customizable Display Settings: (CyanogenMod)
- Customizable Rotation Modes
- Customizable LED Pulse (Duration and Color)
- Volume wake (tap either the up or down volume key to wake your phone from sleep)
- Volume music controls (long press volume buttons to skip tracks)
* Custom Profiles (CyanogenMod)
- assign different profiles to change the behavior of your phone to your liking
* Quiet Hours (CyanogenMod)
- the ability to set when notification sounds, haptic feedback, vibration and notification light will function[/color]
* Performance Settings:
- Start-up tweaks (kejar, Jrummy)
- Processor Speed (xoomdev)
- Voltage controls (xoomdev)
- Kernel controls (kejar, Jrummy)
* Developer Options:
- Propmodder (Jdkoreclipse)
- Spare Parts
- Development app
- Testing Settings
Please make sure you do not use KIES or PC suite to backup data as it will not recognize your phone after you install the custom ROM.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install Jellybean 4.1.1 Codename 3.5.0 Firmware On Samsung Galaxy SL I9003
- Download the Codename Android 3.5.0 Firmware package & Google Apps
zip files to your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB Cable in mass storage mode and copy the two zip files to your phone’s SD card, probably in the root folder so that you can easily locate it when your phone is in the recovery mode.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode. To do this Press and hold the Volume Up + Home buttons together.
- Make a nandroid backup in the recovery mode.
- Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache in the recovery mode.
- Go to “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash it in the next screen
- Repeat the above two steps and flash the Gapps zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 must now be running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below. For updates on this ROM, visit the original thread.