It’s been hardly a few hours that reports came about the notification that some users were getting on their nexuses considering the Android 4.2.2 update which started to seed to a few devices viz. the Google Nexus 10, Nexus 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Talking about the latter and the OTA package, till now, the update is being distributed according to specific regions and corresponding to that most of the users will have to join the waiting list.
Wait a minute now! If you own a Galaxy Nexus, you can board the ferry right now, manually! Although it is just a minor update package as per the version number states, it does seems to do with quite a bug fixes(expect the A2DP data transmission issue to be resolved!) and as they say, “It’ll improve the performance and stability”.
With this post we’ll help you update your device manually. You can download the update and flash it to your phone right away to get Android 4.2.2.[box_light]As of now the download link for takju Galaxy Nexus variant. If you have the yakju variant, you may need to wait for some more time. If you don’t know which one you own, use Nexus update checker.[/box_light]
Your device must be running build JOP4OD before you try this. In case you don’t have it running, you can get the factory image from here.
If you have a custom recovery installed on your device, you can download the zip file to your device and flash as usual. On stock recovery, follow the steps given below.[box_light]Before you proceed with the tutorial, we recommend you to backup everything using our backup guide. Since the process involves connection between the device and PC, you will also need the necessary drivers to be installed on your PC. We are not responsible for any damage that your device may face.[/box_light]
Steps to Update GSM Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2.2
- Turn off your Galaxy Nexus and boot it into fastboot mode. To do this, press both volume buttons and power button. Once you enter the fastboot mode, press Volume up button to select “Recovery” using power button. Once you see the Android Robot with red exclamation mark, press the Volume up button and power button together. You will see a new menu where you need to select “apply update from adb”.
- Connect your Galaxy Nexus to PC via USB Cable.
- Make sure you have Android SDK on your PC for you to run ADB commands.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the same folder where you have adb.exe located.
- Open Command Prompt in windows or the regular shell in Linux or Mac and execute the following command:
adb sideload 472aafeb9fe3.signed-takju-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.472aafeb.zip
- A progress bar will be seen that will hit 100% when your device will install the update.
- Once you reboot, you will have Android 4.2.2 running on your GSM Galaxy Nexus and will see something like this:
If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.