Sony had already promised Jelly Bean update for the 2012 line up of Xperia devices and the update is now rolling out to the devices regionally. There are chances that if you have unlocked, the bootloader or using a custom ROM for the Xperia J, there are high chances that your device may not get the update Over The Air (OTA). With this post, we will help you update your Sony Xperia J to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean manually, so you don’t have to depend upon the OTA update.
Please note that if your device is already rooted, the root access will be revoked and you will have to root the device again. This procedure is pretty simple. All you need to do is – download an ftf file and flash it to your device using FlashTool (not the one which Sony offers).[box_light]Hack My Android should not be held responsible for any damage your device might face during the process, though the chances are very less. We post tutorials only after it is confirmed working on the device. Also note that you need to backup everything before you proceed because all data on your phone will be wiped with this update. You can refer our backup guide for that. You will also need the device drivers for your phone installed in your PC.[/box_light]
Please note that the firmware you flash with this tutorial is only for unbranded phones. Your device should not be locked to any network.
Steps to Update Sony Xperia J To Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- I assume you have downloaded FlashTool from our device drivers page. Open the FlashTool folder (it might be in C:\FlashTool) and find the drivers folder. Right click on it and select “Run as administrator” and install the drivers for your phone. Make sure you check the flashmode and fastboot drivers at the end of the list.
- Download the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean FTF file for your Xperia J and place it in C:\FlashTool\firmwares folder.
- Open FlashTool.exe from C:\FlashTool folder. It must say “Device disconnected” at the end.
- Once you have installed the drivers, turn off your phone.
- Now, press the Volume Down button and without leaving it, connect the phone to the PC via USB Cable. A green LED must light up on your phone. Your device is now in flash mode and you can confirm it if FlashTool now says “Device connected in Flash mode”.
- Click on the thunder icon at the top left in FlashTool, select Flash mode and then select the ftf file you placed in firmwares folder.
- Click on OK button and the ftf file will be flashed to your phone.
- Once the process is finished, FlashTool says “Finished!” at the end.
- Disconnect your device from PC and reboot it.
You should now have Android 4.1 Jelly Bean running on your Sony Xperia J. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.