So I just bought a Sony Xperia U yesterday and saw that it comes with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Sony has however promised an ICS update for the Xperia U and hence I should be able to receive an OTA from Sony. This is the easiest way of updating perhaps. However the software update center did not show up anything.
The next easy step I tried was updating the phone via Sony PC companion. It installed the drivers and showed that an update for the phone was available and it was the ICS update. I decided to do it. The Sony PC companion downloaded the update which took a few hours and then it asked me to disconnect the phone from the PC, turn it off and plugin the USB cable while I press and hold the Volume down button. There occurred some issue with driver signature verification in Windows 8 or it could be something else. I solved it later, so if you face any similar issues, post a comment below and I will help you with it.
FlashTool is a well known tool for flashing ROMs, rooting and recoveries. So I decided to use it to flash the stock ROM (.ftf) file on my Xperia U.
Here are a few screenshots I captured using AirDroid.
Please note that you will lose all data on your phone while you follow the procedure below so kindly make a backup before you proceed.
Also note, you will not lose warranty on your device with this because this is the official stock ROM from Sony.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. (Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.)
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network!
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Flash Stock ICS Firmware on Sony Xperia U
- After you have backed up all data, download FlashTool.
- After you download FlashTool, got to C:/FlashTool or any other directory wherever you have installed FlashTool and then go to the drivers folder. You will find a .exe file using which you can install the necessary drivers for your phone.
- Up next, go ahead and download the ICS 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware for Xperia U ST25a or ST25i depending upon your model. It also looks like flashing ST25i firmware on ST25a did work well, however we do not guarantee that.
- After you have downloaded the firmware (the .ftf file), place it in the “Firmwares” folder present in the FlashTool installation folder.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB Cable in USB Debugging mode. Make sure FlashTool recognizes your device.
- Now, clickon the flash icon (extreme left) in FlashTool and it will start flashing your firmware to the phone.
- At one point when FlashTool suggests, you will have to disconnect the phone from the PC and press and hold the Volume Down key while you plugin the USB Cable back into the device.
- A green LED should light up on your phone.
- FlashTool will now flash the firmware to your phone.
Once the phone reboots, you will see that your phone is running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4. In case you face any issues, feel free to comment below