Finally, official Ice Cream Sandwich update for Motorola Xyboard is available in the United States. This is an Over-The-Air (OTA) Update available via WiFi. This update is available for bot 10.1 and 8.2 variants of the device. The build number for the 10.1 version is Blur_Version.13.11.26.MZ615.Retail.en.US and the same for 8.2 is Blur_Version.14.11.26.MZ607.Retail.en.US.
You must be connected to the WiFi to receive this update. A server initiated OTA update will be available if you receive a notification about the update automatically. You can also receive this update by manually going to Settings>About phone and tap the option to check for Software updates and you will see the build number we have mentioned above.
Since this is an official update, it would give you the best performance. A few more features mentioned by Motorola are:
- Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan: Users can also now save pages for offline reading and request desktop versions of websites.
- Swipe to dismiss notifications and recent apps: You can now dismiss individual notifications and apps from the Recent Apps list with a simple swipe of a finger.
- Redesigned app launcher: In All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it, immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app.
- New System Font for Improved Readability: An entirely new typeface (called Roboto) optimized for high resolution screens improves readability and brings a polished feel to the user interface.
- Updated “People” Application: Replaces contacts and integrates seamlessly with Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved text input and spell-checking: The keyboard now features improved accuracy to make text input faster. It also now includes an in-line spell checker to make corrections easier.
- Type with your voice: Now you can simply touch the microphone on the keyboard and start talking to write emails, or any other text—more than 20 languages supported. Text appears in real time, so there’s no waiting for server processing.
- Richer and versatile imaging capabilities: For new flexibility and convenience while shooting video, you can now take snapshots at full video resolution just by tapping the screen as video continues to record. For capturing larger scenes, the camera introduces a single motion panorama mode. You can also launch camera directly from the Lockscreen. When you shoot videos, you can now choose from a number of silly faces and other fun effects which recognize individual facial features so you can give your friends big eyes, squeeze heads, make noses bigger, or change the scenery with background replacement.
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor: To help pictures look their best, the Gallery now offers a powerful photo editor so you can crop and rotate pictures, set levels, remove red eyes, add effects, and much more.
- Richer, resizable widgets: You can expand widgets to show more content, or shrink them to save space.
- Quicker screen rotation
- A new setting to choose whether the power button immediately locks the device or not: shows up only when you have a pattern, PIN or password lock, it then lets you set a timer for how long it takes to lock after pressing the sleep button.
- Microsoft Exchange improvements with additional EAS policies
- Improved stability
- Face Unlock: Face Unlock is a new screen-lock option that lets you unlock your device with your face. It takes advantage of the device front-facing camera and state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to register a face during setup and then to recognize it again when unlocking the device. Just hold your device in front of your face to unlock, or use back up PIN or pattern.
If you have any issues with installing this update, you can head over to the official page.
So what are you waiting for? Grab the update now and enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola Xyboard. Let us know your experiences with this update in the comments!