After treating most of it’s siblings with the latest edition of Android, it’s time for the users of one of the bestselling cellphone, the Galaxy S2 to rejoice! Having promised the update long time back, the Samsung guys seem to be getting things right now as they seem to be all set to deliver the much awaited Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update to one of their most potential devices ever. Being of such potential, the Galaxy S2 does exists in various variants and talking about variants, you’ll have to take this treat with a pinch of salt as for the time being, this update, however, is limited to the TI-OMAP boasting variant of the handset!
Besides being highly anticipated, this update for sure is one of the best ones ever from the house of the Koreans being the most full-fledged update till date! Apart from bringing an overall refreshed version of the OS, this update promises to take the user interaction to the next level courtesy the set of software which Samsung has implemented in it’s latest generation powerhouses like the lives of the Galaxy S3 or the S3 Mini. Incorporating Android 4.1.2 with it’s very own Touchwiz Nature UX and Google Now service, Samsung has presented a totally refreshed user interface which is actually good to see in an update from the Koreans whose Ice Cream Sandwich update was nothing much despite of an version upgrade as the interface remained the steady same, this time, things seem to be done well and accompanied with Google’s Project Butter, it does promises to make the opponent counterparts to develop a bit of jealousy!
Here are the enhancements in the new Jelly bean update:
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung’s S Cloud services
- Improved Camera features
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Ofcourse you can update your phone via KIES software or as an OTA update but that’s in the General situation, and as the name of the site goes, we are here for those who had rooted their phones and hence, are unable to get the Official treatment. The method is quite a conventional one. We’ll go by the orthodox Odin Multiuploader method, as we’ll proceed via the original firmware package directly to the phone’s memory![box_light] Before you update your phone, we recommend you to backup everything using our backup guide. This is an official update and hence does not void the warranty of your device but you will lose all data and hence a backup is recommended. You also need the necessary drivers installed on your PC before you proceed with this process.[/box_light]
Steps to Update Galaxy S2 To Official Jelly Bean Firmware
- Download the official firmware from Hotfile or using this link.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file and you will get a file named I9100GXXLSR_I9100GXXLSP_I9100GXEFLSR_HOME.tar.md5
- Download Odin and extract its contents.
- Turn off your phone and re-insert the battery.
- Boot it into download mode. To do this, press Volume Down + Home + Power button and you will see a Warning screen. Press the Volume up button and your device will enter into download mode.
- Open Odin and connect your device to the PC via USB cable. You should see the Com:Port section turn yellow in Odin. If it doesn’t, something is wrong with your device drivers.
- Click on PDA button in Odin and select the file I9100GXXLSR_I9100GXXLSP_I9100GXEFLSR_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-Partition check box is not selected.
- Click on Start button.
The firmware will be flashed to your phone and it will boot into Jelly Bean. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.