The Acer E350 which is also known as Liquid Gallant is not so famous and hence doesn’t get much love from the developers. However, Bin4ry whose root method is used to root quite a lot of ICS devices can be applied to root Acer E350 Liquid Gallant too! In this post, we’ll let you know how to root the device and also install ClockworkMod Recovery. Rooting the device will let you gain full access of the Android 4.0.3 that is running on your device and hence you will be able to remove the system apps on your device that is usually referred to as bloatware. You can use Titanium backup for that and hence free up some internal memory.
CWM, originally developed by Koushik Dutta can be used to install ROMs on your device just by flashing a zip file. You can also create a carbon copy of your device using CWM – we call it nandroid backup. It backs up all apps and data on your phone and can be restored later after you install a ROM.
Before you proceed with the steps, make sure you backup everything on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Root Acer E350 Liquid Gallant
- Make sure you have the required drivers. If not – Download here.
- Reboot your PC after installing the drivers.
- Download rooting files for your device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device and connect it to the PC via USB Cable.
- Open the folder where you had downloaded the rooting files.
- Run the file “Runme.bat”. A pop up comes up on your phone, just tap the “Restore” button.
- Device will reboot on success.
Install CWM on Acer E350 Liquid Gallant
- Download the CWM package.
- Unzip the files to a separate folder in your PC.
- Pull out the battery of the device and install the drivers on your PC. You may find the drivers in the downloaded files too.
- Run Flashtool.exe from the files that you have extracted,
- Disconnect the phone from the USB cable,
- Click on Scatter-loading and then select the text file in the Scatter folder.
- Click on “Recovery” option in Flashtool and select the file cwm184.108.40.206.lucky76_1.img that is present in the images folder.
- Click on “Download” button and then connect your phone to the PC via USB without battery.
- Once Flashtool finishes the process, it will say “Done”.
- Disconnect the phone, insert the battery and turn it on.
- To boot in the recovery, hold the volume up button and the power button until you see the acer logo.
You now have root + CWM on your Acer E5. Go ahead and install a custom ROM now. (Flash zip via CWM).