HTC Desire C is one of the best budget phones from HTC in the market right now. It comes with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android which makes it much better than other budget phones like HTC WildFire S. As we proceed with the hacking of this wonderful device, today we will tell you how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your HTC Desire C. Did you root it yet? If not, this tutorial will also let you root HTC Desire C using CWM.
CWM can be used for various purposes like fixing permissions of apps and making a carbon copy (nandroid backup) of your phone. After you root your phone you can use apps like Titanium Backup to backup and restore data of apps which is impossible without rooting. Read more about rooting.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps. You can restore data of apps after rooting your phone.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process will void the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install CWM on HTC Desire C
- Make sure you have installed Android SDK and platform tools on your phone. If you haven’t, read our complete guide about ADB.
- You should also unlock the bootloader of your device via HTCDev.com
- After you have finished the above 2 steps, download recovery image to your computer.
- Place the downloaded .img file in the platform tools folder which exists in the location where you have installed Android SDK.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB Cable having USB Debugging enabled.
- In the platform tools folder, press Shift+Right Click and select “Open Command Prompt here”.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following ADB Commands. Press ‘Enter” after each command:
adb reboot bootloader
- This should have rebooted your device into the bootloader, if it did not then you may not have the right drivers
- While your phone is in bootloader mode, enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-name.img
This will install CWM on your phone.
Steps to Root HTC Desire C via CWM
- Download Superuser zip file.
- Copy the zip file to your SD card.
- Boot your phone into recovery (use command “adb reboot recovery”).
- In the recovery mode, select “Install zip from SD card” and select the zip file you had copied to your SD card in Step 2.
- Flash the zip file to root your phone.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
This will root your HTC Desire C. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below 🙂