The Micromax Canvvas HD android phone is one of the best selling phones in India. The company has sold smartphones more than Samsung in 2012 and the Canvas HD which was recently released seems to be one of the most bought Android phones in India.
With this much popularity, there are high chances that this device will see some development by the Android developers unlike other Indian company phones which aren’t so popular. To begin with, the first step to Android development is rooting the phone. Rooting your phone is always easy and the first thing you would do to modify your phone and gain complete control over it. Once you root your phone, you can backup apps and data associated with them, you can automate tasks using Tasker and do a lot more which is not possible without rooting the phone. If you are new to this, read Goutam’s guide on Android hacking.[box_light] We recommend that you backup everything on your phone using our backup guide and install the device drivers for your phone on your PC. Rooting the phone will void the warranty of your device and we shall not be held liable for any damage your device might face by following this tutorial.[/box_light]
Steps to Root Micromax Canvas HD A116
- Download SP Flash Tools and CWM Recovery.
- From the downloaded Flash Tools, extract the Stock ROM and replace its recovery with the CWM recovery you downloaded. Copy the updated Stock ROM and CWM recovery zip to your phone’s SD card.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable.
- Open SP Flash Tools on your PC.
- Click on Scatter loading button and from the contents of the extracted Stock ROM, open the folder “S9201_MP_F4_B1_IN_MMX_0.16_flasher_user” and then select the file “MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc” which is the scatter loading file as seen in screenshot above.
- Check the “Recovery” option and uncheck all other options.
- Turn off your phone and disconnect from PC.
- Click on Options in Flash Tool and select “USB Mode”.
- On Options again, select DA Download All > Speed and select “High Speed”.
- Click on Download button on the right and select “Firmware>Upgrade”.
- Connect your phone to the PC without turning it on. FlashTool will flash the selected file to your phone.
- While the flashing process takes place, the yellow bar at the bottom should turn green once ompleted.
- Disconnect your phone from PC and press power button + both volume buttons together.
- Press Volume up button to enter into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select “Flash update.zip” and select the 2 zip files you had copied to your phone in Step 2.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Your phone must now be rooted. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below 🙂