Few minutes back we published a tutorial to install XXLPY Official ICS on Galaxy Note where we also mentioned that after applying the official ICS firmware, the root access will be revoked and if you were on a custom ROM, you would have perhaps backed up your apps and data using Titanium backup or made a nandroid backup. So to restore all those apps and data, you will either need Titanium Backup running on your device or you will need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Titanium Backup also requires root access.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to root Samsung Galaxy Note on XXLPY firmware and you can also install ClockworkMod Recovery using this tutorial, thanks to Chainfire who has always been releasing rooting packages for Samsung devices.
Before you root your device, you should know that your warranty will be void after this it does not get void on flashing XXLPY firmware). If you are a newbie, you need to check what is rooting.
It is very unlikely that you will lose any data on your device but if you are stuck at some position you may need to perform a factory reset. Having a backup is good in such situations!
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Make sure you have Samsung KIES installed which will provide the drivers for your phone.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Please check the comment by Ralph below before you proceed.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Note on XXLPY Official ICS Firmware
- Download the rooting package for XXLPY ICS Firmware.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to a separate folder in your PC and you should get the file named CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LPY-v5.3-CWM5.zip
- Download Odin if you don’t have it downloaded already.
- Turn off your phone and boot it into download mode. To do this, press the Volume Down + Center button + Power button.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB Cable.
- The ID:Com section in Odin must turn yellow. If it doesn’t please do not proceed to the next step.
- Open Odin, click on PDA and select the file CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LPY-v5.3-CWM5.zip which you had downloaded previously.
- Also check Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time in Odin.
- Click on Start and your device running XXLPY firmware will be rooted and will have ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
If you face any hurdles or have any questions, you can let us know in the comments below and we would be happy to help you. You can now restore your apps using Titanium Backup or restore data using CWM Recovery.