Not long back did we publish a tutorial to install ICS on Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray and now we have a tutorial to root Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray on ICS 4.0.3 Firmware. The reason why you should root is that since the firmware you flashed is a stock firmware, you will have some apps which Sony stuffs into all of its phones and that occupies a lot of internal space which you would obviously not like and hence to remove the system apps you need Titanium Backup which requires root access. With this tutorial you can root Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray and use all those apps which require root access.
Thanks to DooMLord for creating a rooting toolkit which can be used with any Sony Ericsson phone running stock Ice Cream Sandwich firmware 4.1.A.0.562.
Please make sure you do not have any tool like Flashtool, PCC and SEUS running on your computer while you follow this tutorial.
It is very unlikely that you will lose any data on your device but if you are stuck at some position you may need to perform a factory reset. Having a backup is good in such situations!
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Procedure to Root Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray on ICS 4.0.3 Firmware
- Download the Rooting package.
- Extract the contents of the zip file on C: drive in your PC.
- Double click on “runme.bat” file.
- Follow the instructions you get on the screen.
- The device would reboot a couple of times.
- When the rooting process is finished, it would say “ALL DONE”.
In this way you can easily root Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray on Ice Cream Sandwich. Thanks DooMLord.