Sony is pushing Ice Cream Sandwich Updates to the Xperia Ray devices all over the world. If you have not received the OTA update, you do not need to worry about it because it is pushed out on regional basis and it also depends on your carriier. However, if you have updated to the latest Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 firmware, you must be knowing that it comes with a lot of bloatware pre-installed. By bloatware, I am referring to the stock apps which come installed in the phone. These apps are not necessary and are pushed into the system applications by Sony.
It is always a good idea to remove these apps from your /system/app folder but the system folder is located in the root directory of your phone and you can not access it without rooting your phone. In this tutorial we will tell you how to root Sony Xperia Ray on Official Ice Cream Sandwich firmware.
Please note that your warranty will be void after you do this. Proceed with the tutorial only if you can compromise with the warranty of your phone for the sake of enjoying the benefits of rooting.
There are many other advantages of rooting which can be known by reading a post of mine on BlogoTech.
Backup Data & Prerequisites
The few points listed below will help you backup your data on Sony Xperia Ray. It is very unlikely that you will lose data while rooting but it is always a good idea to backup before you proceed with any hacking activity on your device.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Make sure you have the recommended drivers installed.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Steps to Root Sony Xperia Ray on Official ICS Firmware
- Download – Flashtool | Kernel to your computer. The FlashTool is a tool to flash firmwares, Kernels and recovery to your phone and the Kernel is a rooted stock kernel.
- Pu the kernel in the folder C:\Flashtool\Firmwares Also, make sure you do not have anything else in that folder.
- Connect your Sony Xperia Ray to the computer via USB Cable. Also make sure you have enable USB Debugging from the Settings Menu.
- Run the flashtool that you have downloaded and click on the flashing icon. This icon appears below the “file” option on top left. Select the mode as flash mode and click on OK.
- After this you wil have a screen that looks like this:
- Click on OK and follow the instructions that you see on the screen.
- After the process is over, your device should reboot. If it does not reboot, you need to do it manually.
- If you are stick on the boot screen or logo, re-insert the battery and try again.
While following this procedure, if you get stuck in between, you will have to repeat the whole procedure again. After rooting, you can check for the Superuser app on your phone or perhaps download the Root Checker application which will tell you if your phone is rooted or not.