Root Sony Xperia P By Flashing Rooted Stock Kernel
Being done with our tutorials on almost all of the new breed Xperia’s out there, we ain’t gonna let the Xperia P wait too much for it’s turn. Xperia P lies just below the Japanese warhead in the food chain and carries the blood of the soldiers along with the pride of the flagship. It shares the same chipset as the Xperia U and the Xperia P but has some weight beneath it’s belt courtesy the bigger 4.0″ display and the upgraded camera capable of stills upto 8mp resolution along with 1080p video recording facility. Since this trio share the same SoC, the rooting process also follows the same procedure.
No Custom recoveries here, which means we’ll be goin with the fastboot method.Once the bootloader is unlocked, it’s a matter of installing DooMLoRD’s kernel to obtain full root and install BusyBox. The phone hasn’t received any Custom recoveries but that’s okay considering it’s age in the lot, that’s why we are going to hit the fast boot method.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
- You must have android-SDK installed with all the generic addons.
- You should be having some experience in using the command-prompt.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Steps to Root Xperia P:
Download the stock rooted kernel. Once you are done with installing the android SDK and downloading the kernel on your system, place it in the directory :
If you’re done with that,
- Turn off your device.
- Start the device in fastboot mode by pressing Volume up button and connecting it to the PC via USB Cable simultaneously.
- To check that you have the device drivers installed, type “adb devices” in command prompt and you should see the serial number of the phone connected.
- Using Command prompt, cd to the platform tools folder. You can find the platform-tools folder in the location where you have installed the Android SDK.
Now all left to be done is using the following command to be entered in the Command Prompt to flash the kernel to your phone:
fastboot flash boot kernel.elf
To reboot your phone, you can enter the command “adb reboot” and your device will reboot.
If you get your device booting properly, hey, you’re done with the root. Enjoy you rooted Xperia P with support for root apps
If you faced any problems or have some queries/suggestions, we would be glad to hear from you to keep improving and updating ourselves with the best and the latest