Not long back did we post a tutorial to install XWLP8 ICS firmware on Optus Australian Samsung Galaxy S2 where we also mentioned that the ICS firmware will come with Samsung’s apps pre-installed. I personally don’t like Samsung’s apps and if you don’t like them too, then this tutorial is for you. In this tutorial we will see how to root Samsung Galaxy S2 on XWLP8 ICS Firmware for Optus Australia. Optus is a carrier in Australia and the XWLP8 firmware is meant for devcies locked with the Optus Carrier only. Rooting will void your warranty but there are some advantages of rooting which you must know.
Let us now proceed with the tutorial to root XWLP8 ICS Firmware.
It is very unlikely that you will lose any data on your device but if you are stuck at some position you may need to perform a factory reset. Having a backup is good in such situations!
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk.
Procedure to Root XWLP* ICS Firmware on Optus Australian Samsung Galaxy S2
- Download the XWLP8 Rooting Package.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file and you will get a file with name CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5.tar. Do not extract the contents of the tar file.
- After this open Odin which you can download from here.
- Boot your phone into Download Mode. To do this, press the Volume Down button and Center button. While you press both, simultaneously pres the power button and your phone will enter into download mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB. When you do this the ID:Com section on Odin must turn yellow. If it doesn’t don’t proceed to the next step.
- Click PDA and select CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5.tar from the downloaded contents of the zip file.
- Click on Start. Wait for a few moments and the device will reboot on success.
In this way you can easily root Samsung Galaxy S2 running XWLP8 Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below 🙂