The Samsung Galaxy S2 has been one of the most popular handsets in continuation to the unearthly success of the original Samsung Galaxy S, the two phones that took Samsung to the apex meanwhile, shattering all sales records on their way. The Samsung Galaxy S2 has also been one of the most developer friendly devices till date and has been receiving every single possible development since it shipped with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Wait, did i said Gingerbread? That is enough for the history lessons for now as even the Koreans have moved their former flagship to the taste of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Don’t worry too much about that bit of fuss as we are here to provide you this step by step guide to root your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on ICS XWLPO 4.0.4 Firmware. Rooting? yeah if you are facing some memory issues/lags or other bugs on you Android 4.0 stock firmware, once you root your phone, you’ll get access to the root of your phone which makes the use to root apps possible. Beware! you ain’t gonna taste it without paying for it, you gonna loose your phone’s warranty!
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
- You must have android-SDK installed with all the generic addons.
- You should be having some experience in using the command-prompt.
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
How To Root your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on ICS XWLPO Firmware
- Download the Rooting package and Odin tool to your computer.
- Launch the Odin tool on your computer and switch off your phone so as to boot it up in download mode (Press Volume Down button + Center Button + Power Button).
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to your system and then in the Odin window, wait till you see the ID : COM section turn Yellow, indicating that all the drivers are installed successfully on your system (Note: if all this doesn’t goes the way expected, you need to install all the drivers again and make sure you have checked the “Samsung KIES” box via the path: Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings> ).
- Click on “PDA” and select “CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_LQ5-v5.6-CWM5” ( the one which you downloaded at step#1) and hit “Start” and wait for the firmware update process to get completed.
- If all the thing went well, your phone might have restarted ( this bootup may take longer than the usual ones ) and you’re home!
To check whether the root process has completed successfully, you can download the app “Root checker” from the Google Play Store for the purpose.
Please make a note that your phone may get into bootloops or other problems. In that case, consider booting up the phone in the recovery mode, clear the Cache and repeat this process all over again. Don’t worry, it’s safe.
If you found this tutorial helpful, please pay us a word in the comments section via your comments/suggestions/queries.
We’ll be happy to hear from you 🙂 .