Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Gets a Stable CyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3 Build
While the Galaxy S3 is getting quite a lot of developer love, it’s smaller counterpart isn’t left behind and has a stable CyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3 build. The ROM has been updated recently and doesn’t have any issues as far as the developer talks about it. Though there is no official Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3 mini, you can install a custom ROM to experience the stock Android 4.3 features and what could be better than a CyanogenMod ROM?
CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
XDA forum member New Macław has compiled the CM 10.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 mini and he claims the ROM to be working fine and perfect on the device.
- 2D/3D HW Acceleration
- GPS and A-GPS – fast fix getting
- Glonass navigation
- audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone)
- all native tethers (Wifi/BT/USB)
- native Wifi tether
- camera (normal/panorama/camcorder)
- Google Play
- full CM10.1 functionallity
- CPU sleep mode
- App2sd support
- SIM Toolkit
- no flicker
- full hardware video acceleration (720p)
- YouTube HQ
- Wifi direct
- 3.0.100 kernel
- BLN (backlight notifications) support
- offline charging
- SELinux (temporary disabled)
- 64GB+ sdcard native support (exFAT)
- auto EFS backup
- New BT/GPS/Wifi/offline charging/audio/sensors drivers – no longer buggy Samsung’s ones!
Please note that you should have rooted your S3 mini and have a custom recovery installed to flash this ROM. Also note that the flashing this ROM will void the warranty of your device but you can regain it back by flashing the stock ROM via Odin. Also. flashing this ROM will increase the binary flash counter which can be reset using the Triangle Away app by Chainfire.
Steps to Flash CyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3 ROM On Galaxy S3 Mini
- Download the ROM zip file from this page. The developer has request not to mirror his links, hence you need to visit the developer’s site, select your device and ROM to download it.
- Download Gapps zip file from goo.im/gapps. Make sure you download the latest build of the Gapps package.
- Place both zip files in your device’s SD card.
- Make a nandroid backup of your current ROM. I suggest OBackup for this. For more on how to backup data, refer our data backup guide.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode. You can do this by issuing the command adb reboot recovery. To know more about ADB commands, read this.
- In the recovery mode, wipe data and cache partition. Go to advanced menu and wipe dalvik cache.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file to flash it.
- Similarly flash the Gapps zip file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 mini should not boot into Android 4.3 CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM. You can restore the backed up data using Nandroid Manager. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.