Sony has kept up its promise and after Xperia T, the company is now pushing out Android 4,1 Jelly Bean update to Xperia TX handsets. This update, as reported by a users seems to be much smoother than ICS and has better sound quality. The firmware that is being pushed out is Android 4.1 9.1.B.0.411 Jelly Bean firmware as seen in the Sony PC Companion.
This update is currently only for unbranded phones. If your device is locked to a carrier, you need to wait for them to add some bloatware to the OS and then push it out perhaps a month later.
This update includes the following changes:
- Updated, more intuitive versions of Sony Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies Lets you view and access all your photos, videos and tunes in one place.
- Increased options for personalization A revamped home screen experience for handling widgets, apps and shortcuts… With up to 7 desktop panes, widgets that auto-resize and actionable notifications, you have complete flexibility to create the interface you want / need with a few simple touches!
- Improved app organization and search Application tray sorting is that bit breezier – just press and hold on any app – move, add it to your desktop or create a folder within the tray by dropping it on top of another! We’ve also added a new search function within the application tray that makes it easy to locate your local apps.
- Improved camera functionality More intuitive viewfinder with the addition of auto scene setting, and the option to switch between front and back camera with a single touch.
- Google Now Combining the power of Google search and user profiling, Google Now helps you accomplish daily tasks more efficiently. Click here to know even more.
You should receive this update in Sony PC companion, or via WiFi on your phone. If you don’t receive it either way, you can flash the firmware via FlashTool. But we still recommend Sony PC Companion for the update, since it is easy and doesn’t require much work. But if you have an unlocked bootloader, or a custom ROM on your device, it is very likely that you might not get the update notification.
Manually Update Xperia TX to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- This update will wipe all data on your phone and hence we recommend you to backup all data using our backup guide. Also, this update will void root access if your phone is already rooted.
- Download FlashTool and Sony PC drivers from our drivers page.
- Open the FlashTool folder (it might be in C:FlashTool) and find the drivers folder. Right click on it and select “Run as administrator” and install the drivers for your phone. Make sure you check the flashmode and fastboot drivers at the end of the list.
- Download 9.1.B.0.411 Android 4.1 ftf file.
- Place the ftf file in Firmwares folder of FlashTool. It might probably be in C:\FlashTool
- Turn off your phone and boot it into Flash mode. Press the volume down button and connect your device to PC via USB cable to boot your phone into flash mode.
- FlashTool will recognize your device and say that it is connected in Flash mode.
- Up next, you need to click on the thunder icon on top right of the phone and select the ftf file that you saved in the firmwares folder of FlashTool.
- Click on Start button and the firmware will be flashed to your phone.
- Once FlashTool says “Finished”, you can disconnect your device and boot it normally.
Your Sony Xperia TX will now be running official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. If you face any issues, feel free to comment below.