Quite a lot of Sony Xperia devices have been getting AOKP Jelly Bean builds, thanks to the Xperia Kang Project and other developers at XDA forums. Today, we are featuring yet another AOKP Jelly Bean ROM for yet another Sony Xperia device – the Sony Xperia Arc & Arc S. Using this tutorial, you will be able to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on Xperia Arc & Arc S. It is a custom ROM and may have bugs but the developer says that the ROM does not have any bugs. These bugs will eventually be fixed as and when the ROM is updated.
You can download the latest build of this ROM from the link in the installation instructions given below. Make sure you have Android SDK installed on your computer to flash the kernel for this ROM. More on this will be given below.
As per the developer, and at the time of writing, the developer says that everything works in this ROM.
CWM Recovery 6 (Use EXT3 Filesystem For The SD-EXT Partition,To Avoid Any Errors While Backup)
GSM Phone & Data
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
- Make sure your phone is not locked to any network, else you might brick your device.
Disclaimer: Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.
Steps to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Sony Xperia Arc/Arc S
- Download the latest build of the ROM’s zip file & Mechmetal fix zip file (if available) from the original thread and Gapps zip file. Extract the boot.img file to a separate folder on your Computer.
- Copy the ROM zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode and connect it to the PC using USB Cable.
- Flash the boot.img file to your phone using the fastboot command: fastboot boot boot.img (read more about adb commands).
- After flashing the kernel, boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup from recovery mode or if you do not wish to boot into recovery to make a nandroid makeup, use online nandroid backup tool.
- Wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode and then go to “Mounts/storage” and wipe system.
- Go back and select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.