The FreeXperia (FXP) Team has always been developing CyanogenMod ROMs for Xperia devices. They have developed CM10 for devices like Sony Xperia J and will soon develop CM 10 for Sony Xperia U as soon as Sony releases official Jelly Bean update to 2012 Xperia line up devices. This means that you can expect CM10 for Xperia U around March when Sony will release ICS for Xperia P using which the CM10 ROM will be compiled.
As of now, the CyanogenMod 9 ROM is almost stable with just a few features not working properly though they might be fixed with future builds. The current one at the time or writing is FXP 152. In this tutorial, we’ll help you on how to install the ROM on your device and I’ll also let you know about my experience with the ROM.
- VIDEO RECORDER – crashes because of audio
- The LED bar glows whenever the screen is touched. Workaround – Install the app called “Night mode”.
- Skype video call didn’t seem to work for me as I could not see the video of the person I was talking to. The other person will however be able to see you.
I haven’t experienced any issues other than the aforementioned ones. The ROM performs extremely well, GTA Vice City that lags on the stock ROM works flawlessly on CM9. If you face any other issues, please comment below and I may find a workaround for you 😉Hack My Android is not responsible for any damage that your device may face during this process. The developer is also not responsible for the same. There are little chances that your device may face any issue. However, try this at your own risk. This process voids the warranty of your device.[/box_light]
- Back up all apps using ASTRO File Manager. You can get the APK files using ASTRO and later restore it. Rooted users can use Titanium Backup which also backs up data along with the apps.
- Back up all contacts to SD card.
- Backup SMS on Android.
- Backup call log on Android.
- Have minimum 60% charge on your phone else you might get stuck while the update process is running on your device.
- Remove any security or Anti-virus app if you have them installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be don by Settings>Applications>Development and making sure that USB Debugging is checked.
Steps to Install CM9 ICS ROM on Sony Xperia U
- Download the latest version of the ROM from this page. Download CM9 for “kumquat”. The changelog can be seen on the same page from the menu at the left side of the page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to your device’s Internal memory.
- Boot into recovery mode. Turn off your phone and turn it on again. Press the back button when the red LED glows up.
- From the recovery mode make a nandroid backup (optional), wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the zip file you copied to your phone in Step 2.
- Flash the zip file in the next screen.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.
- To get Google apps, flash gapps for CM9 which can be downloaded from goo.im/gapps
If you face any issues, feel free to comment below and I’ll help you out